Side by side, worlds apart

You don't have to travel far to eat your favorite ethnic cuisine

Fourth Street map

In the 1980s, what used to be just another street of homes in Bloomington turned into a mecca of cultural cuisine.

Fourth Street is lined with colors and smells unlike any other street in Bloomington, with unique cuisines like Thai, Indian, Tibetan, Italian, and Turkish scattered along the street. While each restaurant has developed its own unique personality and following, the street has undergone plenty of changes throughout the years. It was only through the vision of Bruce Storm, a realtor, and his wife, Shannon, that Fourth Street was transformed into the beloved Bloomington tradition experienced by thousands of students and residents today.

INSIDE sampled only a few of these restaurants to give you a taste of the possibilities.

1. Siam House is a Fourth Street classic with both indoor and outdoor seating, and traditional Thai food. Try their curries and pad thai.

2 Taste of India’s buffet restaurant is sure to please with both northern and southern Indian cuisines. Try their tikkas for a delicious taste of India in Bloomington.

3 India Garden is known for their fresh Indian breads and their unbelievable buffets. Try their sizzling tandoori chicken for a flavorful and savory meal.

4 Dami is known for their Asian and Korean food, and most of their dishes are flavored with gochujang, a sweet but spicy Korean chili paste. 

5 Anatolia is unbeatable, with a Turkish, Mediterranean-infused menu that always gives you what you pay for. I ordered the stuffed grape leaves and added beef to the dish. Each meal comes with a salad, a side of rice, a soup of your choice, and free bread. They also give you free Turkish tea, leaving you feeling warm and cozy at the end of your meal.

6 Mandalay sets an authentic ambiance with their decorative atmosphere and delicious food. I tried the coconut chicken curry, and it was savory, delicious and the perfect amount of spicy. I squeezed a few limes into the delicious dish for a citrus kick. The dish also came with a side of rice, which can add a little extra texture.

7 My Thai is a Bloomington classic. They serve authentic Thai dishes that will definitely leave your taste buds happy throughout your entire meal. The pineapple fried rice is unbelievable, and their pad thai is a wonderful go-to dish as well. Like most of the restaurants on Fourth Street, My Thai has a very cozy and authentic atmosphere.