crime & courts

Sexual assault, home invasion reported on Bloomington's west side

A female woke up to a man lying on top of her with his hand over her mouth at approximately 3 a.m.  Wednesday morning, according to a press release from the Bloomington Police Department. She screamed, and the man fled.

Andrew Carie, 42, was arrested Wednesday and charged with attempted rape, burglary and confinement. He has no permanent address, according to the release.

The BPD found Carie in the bushes nearby the victim’s house, a residence on the 1200 block of West Seventh Street. He was holding a flashlight and tried to inform the officers he was looking for the same suspect as they were and he had chased him down without success. Carie was then detained and questioned before being transferred to the Monroe County Jail.

When the officers checked the residence, they found an open bathroom window. Mud prints tracked on the floor below the window and in the bedroom where the victim had been sleeping.

Officers found Carie’s jacket, which contained his identification, on the side of the house with the open window.

Because of his criminal history, Carie is also facing charges of being a habitual offender, which could add as many as 20 years on his sentence if he’s convicted for “the most serious charges,” according to the release.

At the time of the release, there was no connection between this incident and a sexual assault that was reported on the B-Line trail on Monday. Both cases remain under investigation.

Carie’s bond has been set at $100,000 surety and $1,000 cash.