Open the gates, free the trees

Let’s talk trees.

More specifically, let’s talk about our very own trees in the Arboretum and why we’re being withheld the pleasure of walking among them to and from class.

Seriously though, my truthful first impression of the Alcatraz-like fencing system barricading the perimeter was that there must be some sort of deadly specimen, like masses of tsetse flies.

Too soon?

Turns out the annexation of the Arboretum isn’t any quarantine-related situation, shockingly enough, but actually just a construction project.

More specifically, the University has closed the Route 66 of campus pathways to improve the lighting and replace the sidewalks.

Last spring, I was the last person I knew to load up the wagon and head for the homestead. That was the first week of May.

So, technically there were about three-and-a-half months of student-less existence for them to take care of whatever campus improvements they saw fit to, you know, improve.

I understand that the laundry list of summer project the University addresses each year must be miles long.

However, I find it very hard to believe there couldn’t have been a little better prioritization to ensure students don’t have to tack on an extra 10 minutes to their walk to and from class.

Obviously the only thing consistent in life is change, and I think nine times out of 10 IU is positively contributing to this statement.

Exempting the movement to remove the D bus, but that’s a different column for a different day.

However, when the University schedules a project that blatantly and negatively interferes with the daily routines of its students, any positivity related to the project instantly goes out the window.

Not to mention the fact that this particular construction project is going to continue through November, according to the University’s Twitter account, @IUBloomington.

I’m all for upgrading the campus to ensure it remains fantastic for generations to come. However, I can’t get on board with this latest improvement initiative, especially if it denies me and my fellow Hoosiers the right to the most scenic and beautiful fall stroll on campus.