Forward Emmitt Holt commits to 2014 IU men's basketball team

IU added to its frontcourt depth with a late roster addition Wednesday morning, with 6-foot-7 forward Emmitt Holt’s commitment to the program.

Holt, who was originally a member of the 2015 class, reclassified to the 2014 class in order to graduate in May. He intended to attend prep school for a year before playing in college but reopened his recruitment this summer.

“My parents always told me that the worst feeling in life is to look back and say ‘I wonder’ because once doors close it’s rare they are reopened,” Holt said via Twitter on Wednesday morning. “Today I would like to announce that I have committed to Indiana University.”

While Holt’s addition gives IU Coach Tom Crean another body in his team’s weakest area – the post – the move might create a problem for Crean next season.

The Hoosiers now have no scholarships left to offer for the 2015-16 season, barring any player departures.

In his final season at Webster Schroeder (N.Y.), Holt averaged 19.8 points, 14.6 rebounds and 5 blocks per game and was named a finalist for New York’s Mr. Basketball award. He chose IU over Drexel, Duquesne, Hofstra and Vermont, among others.

Alden Woods

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.