student life

High School Journalism Institute continues for 68th year

caHSJI

Alexis Daily

The High School Journalism Institute serves as a continuing education outreach program for in-state and out-of-state secondary school students and teachers. High school advisers have sessions from June 23-27, July 7-11 and July 13-17, while high school students had workshops from July 7-11 and July 13-17.

HSJI Director Teresa White said 315 students registered for the program, more than half from out of the state, but some were unable to attend for various reasons. She said the institute is open to students who have finished eighth grade through those who graduated high school.

White said she attended HSJI herself in 1979, and many of the other HSJI faculty members also attended the program when they were in high school.

“The faculty advises student media,” she said. “They don’t just teach classes.”

White said John Stempel, head of the journalism department at the time, organized the first institute in 1947.

White said under first director Gretchen Kemp’s leadership, the program transformed from a recruitment tool into a learning experience with an emphasis on student media and publication at the time.

“The goal of the program, then and now, is to support and improve scholastic

journalism,” White said.

Abbie Gipson, a member of the Communications Team, the student-run Public Relations Office of the High School Journalism Institute, said campers arrived July 13 and stayed in Rose Hall until the camp ended July 17. She said each day, students report to their respective classes in either Ernie Pyle Hall or Wildermuth Intramural Center.

Gipson said skill workshops include yearbook, communication team, newspaper, digital photography, television news, multimedia, graphic design, sports journalism, arts and entertainment journalism and documentary filmmaking.

“There’s not really one specific HSJI experience because of the diversity in terms of experience level of the students and the classes they’re taking,” Gipson said.

White said all the students, current and alumni, are incredibly enthusiastic and passionate about journalism, and that many remember the impact HSJI had on their lives.

“We had a grandfather and dad, both of whom attended HSJI when they were younger, visit their son during the awards ceremony recently,” White said. “They enjoyed coming back to see what changes the institute has undergone since they attended.”

White said that while they are unsure of the exact

numbers of HSJI attendees who attend IU, she keeps track of those who declare a journalism major.

“HSJI is a week where you are surrounded by hundreds of journalists with whom you share a passion,” said Kate O’Rourke, IU sophomore and 2013 HSJI attendee. “You form an instant bond as you experience your first taste of what college is all about.”

All of the student work done in HSJI can be found at hsji.org.