sports baseball

Baseball team announces new pitching coach

IU announced the addition of Kyle Bunn as the team’s new pitching coach on July 11.

Bunn most recently coached at East Tennessee State but has also put in time coaching at traditional college baseball powerhouses Alabama, Clemson and Ole Miss.

Former IU Coach Tracy Smith left IU on June 24 for the head coaching job at the prestigious Arizona State University.

When Smith left, he also took former IU pitching coach Brandon Higelin with him, leaving the Hoosier coaching staff depleted.

IU hired former Louisville assistant coach Chris Lemonis as the team’s head coach July 2.

Now Lemonis has his pitching coach.

“He has a proven track record of producing elite pitchers at the highest level of college baseball,” Lemonis said of Bunn.

“He has mentored numerous big leaguers and he has a wealth of experience winning and advancing in the postseason.”

Just like Lemonis, Bunn is a graduate of The Citadel, located in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

The Hoosier pitching staff will lose starter Joey DeNato, who was drafted in the 19th round of the MLB Draft by the Philadelphia Phillies in June.

DeNato holds every significant Hoosier pitching record and was an All-American.

Starter Brian Korte, who was the team’s third starter for the later part of the season, also left the program after graduation.

Still, IU returns first-team All-Big Ten pitcher Christian Morris, starter Will Coursen-Carr, first team All-Big Ten middle reliever Luke Harrison and relievers Jake Kelzer and Scott Effross from the best ranked pitching staff in the Big Ten.