sports baseball

Schwarber, Travis, DeMuth drafted

spSchwarber

For the past two years, junior catcher Kyle Schwarber and junior first baseman Sam Travis smacked pitches over the walls of Bart Kaufman Field at an alarming rate.

If the IU "Bash Brothers" eventually make it to the big leagues, they’ll be hitting pitches over the ivy walls of Wrigley Field and the green monster of Fenway Park, respectively.

Junior catcher Kyle Schwarber was drafted No. 4 overall by the Chicago Cubs and junior first baseman Sam Travis was drafted No. 67 by the Boston Red Sox in the 2014 MLB draft Thursday.

Schwarber becomes the highest draft pick in IU history with the selection at No. 4. The Middletown, Ohio, native is a finalist for the Johnny Bench Award, an honor given to the nation’s top Division I catcher.

Schwarber hit .358 this season with 14 home runs and 48 RBI.

“Thank you to the Cubs for drafting me today and helping me come closer to my ultimate dream! #blessed,” Schwarber tweeted.

Travis was also drafted on day one of the draft, in the second round to the Red Sox.

The Orland Park, Ill., native was the Big Ten Player of the Year after hitting .347 with 12 home runs and 58 RBI.

“BOSTON STRONG,” Travis tweeted after the selection.

Senior third baseman Dustin DeMuth was also drafted.

DeMuth was drafted last year  in the ninth round by the Minnesota Twins, but he was selected in the fifth round by the Milwaukee Brewers this year.

DeMuth was the No. 146 overall pick.

Days two and three of the MLB draft will continue Friday and Saturday.

Evan Hoopfer