crime & courts

This week in Bloomington crime

May 11

Bloomington Police Department received a report at approximately 4:30 a.m. of a robbery and battery.

The 22-year-old male said he was approached by two white men after walking a friend home.

The two men, who were in their early 20s, allegedly beat the 22-year-old man on the 200 block of East Ninth Street.

The victim was then transported to IU Health by medical staff. He had at least one tooth knocked loose and complained of dizziness.

May 12

On the 1100 block of Clarizz Blvd., a 22-year-old male was approached by two unknown males who allegedly robbed him of his backpack as he was waiting at the bus stop.

After stealing his backpack, the two men fled southeast toward an apartment complex.

Two witnesses confirmed the subject’s story.

Putnamville troopers arrested a man for the production of methamphetamine within 1000 feet of a daycare facility.

Acting on tips and other investigative information, the troopers descended upon the home of the suspect’s mother at 10:00 a.m.

At the home, troopers found two small working methamphetamine labs, approximately one gram of finished product, numerous items of paraphernalia, and numerous chemicals associated with the production of methamphetamine, according to a police report from the Indiana State Police.

The illegal items were found in numerous out buildings and various holes dug in the ground throughout the yard.

May 13
Daniel Collay was arrested and charged with a class C felony for criminal recklessness with a firearm and the possession of a firearm without a permit after firing gunshots Tuesday night.

A man reported hearing the firing gun at approximately 8 p.m. at 11440 N. Arlington Dr
.
The man who reported it to the police said he was involved in a verbal altercation with Collay and another man concerning inappropriate comments made about his girlfriend.

He then said he returned to his apartment and heard gunshots.

A third-party female eyewitness said she heard the altercation outside and observed one of the men tell Collay to “go get a gun.”

She then observed him take out a handgun and fire six rounds into the air.

The BPD located Collay at apartment 511 in the complex and eventually got a search warrant.

They found a revolver and a 9 mm handgun that wasn’t full. They also found ammunition missing.

Sarah Zinn