Japan-America Society to have 15th annual gala

The ambiance of the Indiana Roof Ballroom is what attracts many Japanese citizens to the annual Gala for the Japan-America Society.

On May 22 the Indiana Roof Ballroom will be filled with hundreds of people for the Gala beginning at 5 p.m.

Those in attendance will hear from keynote speakers such as the Ambassador of Japan Kenichiro Sasae and Indiana Gov. Mike Pence.

“The year’s Gala is expected to be a little more serious with the ambassador speaking,” said Robert Reynolds, Honorary Consul General of Japan in Indianapolis.

Although the society does not know what the ambassador will talk about, they speculate it could be about the relationship between Indiana and Japan.

“The Gala is an informal meeting, and there is entertainment after the speakers,” said Tom Easterday, president of the board of directors of JASI.

Because the Ambassador of Japan will be in attendance, the society decided to have the Gala during a time when the Indianapolis 500 is preparing for the race to show some of the state’s culture.

“We wanted the Ambassador to experience Indianapolis during the time leading up to the Indy 500,” executive director Theresa Kulczak said.

JASI is comprised of Japanese businesses that are either in Indiana, have moved to Indiana from Japan, or Japan companies that work with Indiana companies, Reynolds said.

Indiana is also the only state with Japanese vehicle plants, he said. There are three total.

“Indiana has a lot of Japanese-based companies, which has kept the relationship growing,” Reynolds said.

JASI is comprised of both Japanese and American companies, and its mission is to help build relationships between the Japanese and Indiana, he said.
The Gala has been occurring since 2000.

“The Gala is considered to be the signature gathering of the Japan-Indiana relationship,” Kulczak said.