arts performances

Dining hall singer to play final show

In the past five weeks, sophomore Jo Fipps has been traveling to dining halls all over campus, suprising many students by standing up and singing covers of songs.

Fipps will perform his final show of the school year for his “For the People Tour” at 12:30 p.m. Friday at Wright Food Court.

He started his tour at Wright Food Court and since then has performed at Gresham Food Court, The Restaurants at Woodland, Edmondson Dining Room and the Hoosier Cafe & Store at McNutt.

Fipps’ main goal with the tour is to spread happiness and lighten the mood for students who are under pressure with finals and the end of the semester, he said. The event is sponsored by student-run website designer and video production company Mills Digital.

“College is a place where you can do anything you want in order to find your favorite outlet,” Fipps said. “This would be a nice way to have a little spontaneity in their life, to laugh for a couple minutes while a crazy person sings in the dining hall.”

Throughout the weeks he has been touring, Fipps went from singing a cappella to slowly collaborating with other students by incorporating instruments with his performances.

He plans on having a live band for his finale, featuring students playing a violin, bass, synthesizer and drums.

As a group, they will be performing a cover of “Party in the USA” in the middle of Wright Food Court.

Jacobs School of Music student Jasmine Scott, a friend of Fipps, has attended each of his weekly performances. She was asked to join him when he was interested in expanding his tour acts.

“It’s been an awesome experience just getting to do something fun and putting smiles on everyone’s faces alongside Jo,” Scott said.

With the word spreading about his tour around campus, Fipps has been receiving more promotion with his Facebook and YouTube accounts, “Ernie Jo Official.”

“It’s been up and down with each of the venues I’ve been at with the structure of the dining halls,” Fipps said. “It was rough getting people engaged the first week, but throughout the weeks people have been beginning to enjoy it by laughing and singing along.”

Fipps is planning on doing another tour next spring titled “No Compromises.”

“I think Jo’s contribution to IU with this tour is completely awesome,” Scott said. “I love watching him unexpectedly serenade strangers in food courts. It makes me laugh and I know it makes others laugh as well.”