Students create comedic web series about college

Two IU students from the West Tower Comedy group created a web series based on college life that recently premiered on YouTube.

Sophomore Amy Corson and freshman Maggie Scudder combined their talents to create the web series.

“It’s like a really short TV show, basically,” Corson said.

Scudder, who in the past two years began to think of comedy as a career, said she and Corson wanted to create content online after first working together in a comedy group.

“Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today?” Scudder said.

As actors in the web series, Scudder and Corson said they’ve created caricatured versions of themselves who interact with fellow comedic friend Chris Diehn.

“It’s kind of an awkward, quirky little web series about college life,” Scudder said.
Scudder said college students are the intended audience.

“We hope they can watch it and relate to all the uncomfortableness that’s involved with kind of being at this age and the social standards that we have to uphold as college students,” Scudder said.

Corson started theater in high school and carried her work in drama into college. As a fan of Monty Python and “Saturday Night Live,” she said her enjoyment of shows transitioned into something she could see herself doing professionally.

“It’s kind of like trying a bunch of different styles of theater and finding out what I liked,” Corson said.

Scudder said she’s been interested in comedy for a while, and upon coming to IU, she started more practical, on-the-job work. She said writing sketches and performing improv led her to the web series.

“It just seemed like the next step to start writing a show,” she said.

In working with a friend, Corson said she believed one of the important things is the capability of dividing time with them.

She said she has an honest relationship with Scudder, and it’s good to have friends who are supportive but always encouraging you to do your best.

“We keep our professional relationship very separate from our personal relationship, and that’s what’s making it really easy to do this,” Corson said.