Starlite Drive-in sold to local family

ciStarlite

A Bloomington family has purchased the Starlite Drive-In, which, until recently, was under threat of closure.

Though Brooke Eads, a Bloomington resident who spent the month of January fundraising, was unable to save the theater on her own, the space will soon reopen to the public. Reece Freeman, son of Starlite’s new owner Mark Freeman, said the theater’s tentative opening date is May 2.

The theater’s water lines and screen suffered some damage because of the unusually harsh winter. Because of the damage, the space will require extra renovations.

Freeman clarified, however, that management of the space will be similar to management from past owners.

Cindy Jarvis, who has been managing the theater with her husband Troy since 2001, said she feels confident the new owners of Starlite will maintain the integrity of the theater while also bringing about necessary changes to attract customers.

“It was time to turn it over to the new owners to further its success,” Jarvis said. “I am very blessed to introduce the Freeman family and encourage everyone to come out and support them in this transition.”

Reece said his family is elated by the prospects following such a large purchase.

“Acquiring Starlite Drive-In is a dream come true,” Reece said. “We are incredibly excited and honored to operate an establishment that is such a well-known Bloomington treasure.”

Jarvis said she looks forward to relaxation and watching her children grow up following years managing Starlite.

“I am ready to settle down and lead a more simple life,” Jarvis said. “I hope to go to a drive-in, Starlite of course, and just sit and watch a movie.”

Eads relied on fundraising to procure enough money to save the theater. The Freemans’ strategy varied slightly because they are entrepreneurs. They spent years saving money from their current business ventures to buy the space.

“Since we opened up our farm to the public in 2000, efforts have been made to set aside any available money for future investments,” Reece said.

Reece said he believes the family’s past experiences owning the farm taught them essential skills that will help them make Starlite a friendly and inviting environment.

“The entrepreneurial knowledge we gained from operating Freeman Farms can directly be implemented towards Starlite,” Reece said. “As a family-run business, we have constantly concentrated our efforts towards family-orientated activities and events.”

Reece said the newly renovated space will include traditional drive-in favorites, such as nights with dinner and two movies. He also said the family is working on adding carside pizza delivery to the theater’s routine.

The Freeman family said they wanted to save the theater to ensure families would be able to create memories similar to theirs for years to come.

“We purchased Starlite Drive-In not only as a business venture but because we wanted to bring new life to an establishment that has created so many wonderful, nostalgic memories not only for our family but to all those who have had the opportunity to sit under the stars with friends and family,” Freeman said.

Jarvis said she advises the Freemans to keep their happiness in perspective and to make sure the theater lives forever in Bloomington.

“Lead with your heart,” Jarvis said. “Love what you do, and keep history alive.”