crime & courts

Spierer lawyers subpoena wireless carriers

Verizon Wireless, AT&T and IU are among those recently subpoenaed by attorneys for the parents of missing student Lauren Spierer.

The two defendants in the civil suit, Corey Rossman and Jason Rosenbaum, believed to have been with Lauren the night she disappeared in June 2011, motioned for the subpoenas to be quashed, according to court documents. 

The Spierers initially requested phone records for Rossman and Rosenbaum from AT&T and Verizon, according to court documents.

Subpoenaed parties also include E.R. Lewis & Company, Curry Real Estate Development & Management, LLC, and Smallwood Plaza.

In addition to Rossman and Rosenbaum, the Spierers sought phone records for a four-month span, May 27 to Sept. 30, 2011, from more than a dozen additional individuals. 

The University was also subpoenaed, with the Spierers calling for any and all record of misconduct involving Rossman, Rosenbaum, Michael Beth, Jesse Wolff — Lauren’s then-boyfriend — and Lauren herself.

Rossman and Rosenbaum both maintain, according to court documents, that the aforementioned records hold no relevance in the case or the search for Lauren.

The subpoenas are the latest development in the civil suit filed by the Spierers last year. 

One month ago, a magistrate judge denied the family’s request to seal evidence in the case, which is still active.

Lauren, who was an apparel merchandising student at IU, has yet to be located since she was last seen during the early morning hours of June 3, 2011. 

Rob and Charlene Spierer accused Rossman and Rosenbaum of providing their already-intoxicated daughter with alcohol the night she went missing and claimed the men owed her “duty of care,” according to court documents.