Tuesday, March 19

IUSA, RHA begin Culture of Care week

Four committees within IU Student Association work throughout the year to improve the respect, sexual well-being, mental health and alcohol and drug abuse awareness among IU students.

All their efforts come together for Culture of Care Week.

This year, the Residence Halls Association and IUSA worked together to organize activities for students from Sunday through Friday.

“Basically, all four committees help make a well-rounded circle of how one should be stable and healthy in college,” said Lexie Heinemann, RHA vice president of student affairs. “They point out four big key areas where a lot of issues can come from, and they do a lot of awareness of them for students.”

Culture of Care is a student-based initiative organized by IUSA that began three years ago. It focuses on educating students about bystander prevention.

Andy Braden, one of three co-chairs of Culture of Care, said they spread awareness through programs, partnerships with other student organizations and tabling.

“We also directly train students in bystander intervention through our StepUp! program,” he said. “It’s our vision that we can create a more safe, open and welcoming campus where all Hoosiers look out for one another.”

This is the first year that RHA is directly involved in Culture of Care Week.

Heinemann, a member of Culture of Care, brought the idea of being more involved in the event to RHA.

A new RHA executive board has just taken office and is working to build the organization. Heinemann said this is a great way to bring members together.

“The past administration has made a lot of progress with getting RHA in with CoC week and helping spread our own name with IUSA’s CoC,” she said. “It’s actually really cool because getting your foot in the door this early and being able to help each other could lead to a stronger or more cohesive unit in the future.”

Events including educational tabling will take place Monday through Thursday during the day and activities such as yoga at night.

Activities are sponsored by IUSA, RHA and Counseling and Psychological
Services.

Heinemann said this is a great opportunity for students to destress before a hectic end to the year and final exams.

“What Culture of Care week focuses on is bringing these potential issues to light and helping (students) find resources and ways to decrease that stress,” she said. “It’s helping students have a safer environment at IU.”

Each Culture of Care committee brings its own special message to students, Heinemann said.

She said this provides an opportunity for students to learn something new
each day.

Culture of Care was originally formed in response to student activity on campus that may threaten the physical, mental or emotional health of others.

Braden said when administrators and faculty aren’t there to control student behavior, such as at parties or in the dorms, students need to be educated about how to help each other.

“I believe it is important for students because they are the only line of defense against a lot of incidents that occur on campus,” he said. “Students need to have the tools to know how and when to help each other.”