sports baseball

Hoosier baseball looks to complete sweep

spBaseball

The Hoosiers broke out the long ball this weekend.

In two games against Iowa, the Hoosiers have hit eight home runs — which is equal to or greater than the total of seven Big Ten teams this season.

IU (17-10, 7-1) is replicating its road dominance of Big Ten foes in Iowa City, Iowa, against Iowa (16-11, 3-5). IU has defeated Iowa 6-3 and 14-3 in the first two games of the series.

The series was moved to a Saturday-Sunday-Monday format because of rain forecasts Friday.

In game one, senior Joey DeNato picked up his sixth win of the season by going six innings and giving up three earned runs and earned another accolade in Hoosier baseball history.

The win Saturday is No. 30 for the staff ace in his career, which is tied for the record for most wins for a pitcher in IU history.

On the offensive end, junior first baseman Sam Travis knocked two out of the park and junior catcher Kyle Schwarber added two RBIs.

But the game was still tight in the sixth inning, with IU leading 5-3. Sophomore closer Scott Effross came in and finished the game. He recorded the 2.2 inning save which gave IU the game one victory.

The Hoosiers picked up where they left off Sunday by jumping on the Hawkeyes’ starting pitcher, Sasha Kuebel, early. Kuebel gave up five earned runs and only recorded one out in his start.

By the second inning, IU already had an 8-0 lead, which was more than enough for the tandem of sophomore pitcher Christian Morris and junior pitcher Luke Harrison. Morris got the start and allowed three runs, only one earned, in 3.1 innings. Harrison then came in and allowed just one hit and surrendered no runs in his 4.2 innings.

Senior third baseman Dustin DeMuth went 3-for-4 with three RBIs in the game and extended his hitting streak to 16 games.

Sophomore pitcher Will Coursen-Carr will get the nod for Monday’s game. He is 2-2 on the season with a 3.14 ERA in nine total appearances.

A win would give IU its second-consecutive sweep of a Big Ten opponent on the road. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.

-Evan Hoopfer