Honky-tonk band plays bluegrass at Players Pub

Lexi and the Strangers, a honky-tonk bluegrass band, brought their act to Players Pub on Thursday.

Opening the show with “The Mushroom Huntin’ Song,” Lexi Len Minnich asked the audience if they had been mushroom hunting yet this year. She announced she had found 60 morel mushrooms so far.

“I am the champion mushroom hunter,” Minnich said, “That’s why I wrote this song.”
Susan Thomas, who helps handle the social media aspects of Lexi and the Strangers, said last night’s show was their first time performing in the same venue.

“We played with Lexi a couple years now,” Jason Payton said, who plays guitar for Lexi and the Strangers.

“This is our first show with Jean. I am producing her upcoming record, so we will play a lot of songs from that.”

Lexi and the Strangers have performed in the area for three years now. Last night’s show was their last before preparing for Morel Fest this weekend.

The band will release their new album this summer.

In addition to original music, Lexi and the Strangers also play some covers from other local bands.

“We have one album recorded and mastered,” Minnich said, “I am getting ready to do a Kickstarter campaign to get it printed.”

Minnich’s passion for country music was in part passed down through her family.

“My dad was a musician,” Minnich said, “Lots of my other family members were musicians.”

Her inspiration to perform on stage came at an early age.

Surrounded by performing musicians, her singing and guitar acts began at age eight.

“I just loved music, and there was always a lot of music around me as a kid,” Minnich said. “I was always marching down to band practice and telling them to give me
a mic.”

Her current band formed after Minnich played at a party show in Green County, Ind.

Her fellow musicians decided to keep a regular band after that.

Minnich is a mother of three children, but she said she still finds time to travel the state as a musician. Her five-piece band plays for hire.

“We go all over Indiana,” Minnich said.

She said she loves performing at the local bars, rodeos and barn dances.

“When they put my name on the Bluebird sign I was like, ‘Oh, my god, I am a rock and roller,’ because I am from Bloomington,” Minnich said.

The Bloomington audience has been excellent to her band, Minnich said.

“I don’t care if I ever get famous because I always play for people that like to hear me,” Minnich said.