sports softball

Gogreve leads softball to senior day win

With a full crowd in attendance for senior day at Andy Mohr Field, all attention was centered on senior third baseman Shelby Gogreve standing at home plate. But it wasn’t for her batting.

She was going to sing the National Anthem.

“I asked to start singing it freshman year,” Gogreve said. “Coach really opened the door for me to do it. It felt great to do it. I feel like that was how the story should end.”

Gogreve, one of five seniors, had a career day Saturday, driving in five runs in IU’s
(15-35-1, 5-15) lone victory against Iowa (15-26-1, 8-12) during the weekend.

The first game of the series was a pitching battle that resulted in a 1-0 Iowa win.

The lone run of the game came off of a home run from senior left fielder Brianna Luna on the first at-bat of the first inning.

IU senior shortstop Breanna Saucedo and freshman right fielder Natalie Lalich
accounted for the only two Hoosier hits of the afternoon.

Saturday, there was no shortage of offense for IU in the 9-1 victory.

In the bottom of the first, the Hoosiers got off to a quick start.

After reaching on a fielder’s choice, Saucedo scored from third on a wild pitch for the first run of the day.

Three batters later, Gogreve hit a bases-loaded single to shallow right field, pushing two more runs across the plate for IU.

Gogreve struck again in the bottom of the third frame.

With the bases loaded for her second consecutive at bat, Gogreve hit a bases-clearing
double to right center bringing IU’s lead to six runs.

She said she had a good feeling heading into the game.

“I came in feeling really great,” Gogreve said. “After my first hit, it gave the team momentum. We had a great day collectively.”

The Hoosiers plated three more runs in the fourth from three RBI singles, ending the game after five innings.

IU Coach Michelle Gardner was thrilled with the team’s performance all weekend, especially Saturday.

“We played really well,” she said. “It was the best we’ve played this season.”

On Sunday, IU’s Senior Day, the Hoosiers fell 3-2.

In the top of the third inning, Iowa plated the first run of the game when shortstop
Megan Blank hit a solo home run to right field.

The lead would only last for a half inning. In the bottom of the third, IU sophomore second baseman Kassi Farmer hit a single to right field, driving in two runs for IU.

When Iowa returned to offense, centerfielder Erin Erickson sent the first pitch of a two out offering over the left field wall, tying the game at two.

In the top of the seventh frame, Iowa regained the lead.

After retiring a runner at home, IU sophomore catcher Kelsey Dotson made a throw to attempt a double play at first base. Freshman first baseman CaraMia Tsirigos was unable to secure the throw, allowing Hawkeyes first baseman Kaitlyn Mullarkey to score on the play.

IU stranded seven runners on base, something that has hurt the team all season.

“You can’t leave seven on base when you’re playing a team like Iowa,” Gardner said. “We were a couple timely hits away from a different result.”