crime & courts

BPD starts program to control problem of homelessness

Bloomington Police Department Chief Mike Diekhoff said police can’t fix the problem of homelessness in town. But officers are trying to change how law enforcement handles people experiencing homelessness.

BPD started a new program to assist people experiencing homelessness in downtown Bloomington and on the B-Line Trail.

Six police officers have been put on duty as downtown resource officers to direct people in need to social service providers as an alternative to arresting them.

“The goal is to find people in crisis having problems and link them to the appropriate service provider,” Diekhoff said.

The officers have recognizable dark blue uniforms and use a variety of modes of transportation. The initiative began April 1.

The program is a joint effort among IU Health Bloomington, Centerstone, the Shalom Community Center, the Monroe County Public Library, the Monroe County Probation Department and a variety of faith groups, said Lisa Abbott, director of Housing and Neighborhood Development.

“The process of arresting people, sometimes it takes care of the problem, but it doesn’t always address why they’re there in the first place,” Diekhoff said.

Eliminating homelessness is not BPD’s responsibility, Diekhoff said, because the department doesn’t have the necessary social service experience.

The officers participating have all volunteered for the position. But Abbott said homelessness is a community problem, not just the officers’ responsibility.

“You need to tell us where you can see the problems because we can’t be everywhere all the time,” Abbott said.

Diekhoff agreed, reiterating there are only six officers participating, and patrol, though frequent, is not constant.

BPD is depending on community members to notify the appropriate help when necessary.

“I can’t fix the problem, but I can find people who can,” Diekhoff said.

While homelessness is definitely an increasing problem in Bloomington, Diekhoff said he blames a select few for the problem rather than the entire homeless community.

“When you talk about homelessness, it seems like a big problem, but it’s a small percentage of that population that causes the bulk of the problem,” Diekhoff said.

Abbott said the police department is looking at the individuals who are intoxicated downtown, who are harassing other individuals or who have mental illnesses and are off their medication.

Steve Backs, MCPL adult and teen services manager, said he is excited to be a part of the initiative, especially because the program provides an alternative to putting problematic individuals under arrest. 

Backs said a big problem is people experiencing homelessness falling asleep in the library and crowding the facilities.

“We’ve been longing for something where we can get in front of that,” Backs said.

“We think it’s a really progressive idea, and we’re gratified to be a part of it.”

In the future, the city hopes to start an education campaign to stop aggressive panhandling.

Abbott said many people don’t realize that some individuals begging for money are not actually homeless. He said they could just be using the money they collect to feed their addictions.

In the meantime, though, the new program is already proving effective, Diekhoff said.

“We’re already having successes, in my mind, finding out what services are out there to help,” Diekhoff said.