crime & courts

BPD prepares for Little 500 weekend

Bloomington Police Department has begun preparations for Little 500 weekend.

Typically, Little 500 weekend brings a high number of arrests for underage drinking, public intoxication, disorderly conduct and assaults that take place at large parties or in the downtown area near student-oriented bars, according to a BPD press release.

Additional officers will work both Friday and Saturday nights. The majority of officers will work overnight hours when the need is greatest for extra personnel, according to the release.

In addition to officers in marked and unmarked police cars, police will also patrol on foot downtown near the bars and in areas known for large parties such as near Memorial Stadium.

A remote booking site for the Monroe County Jail will be set up at the department, which helps make officers available more quickly than typical booking procedures at the actual jail, according to the release.

BPD will also provide a command center that will include personnel from various law enforcement agencies and first responders such as the Indiana State Police, Indiana State Excise Police, Indiana University Police Department, Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, Bloomington Fire Department and IU Health Bloomington Hospital Ambulance Service.

BPD advises people participating in activities related to the Little 500 weekend to use good judgment in their consumption of alcohol, watch out for friends who may have had too much to drink and don’t hesitate to call 911 for help if someone needs medical assistance.

Indiana’s Lifeline Law provides protections in many situations for people who call for emergency medical assistance rather than subjecting them to arrest.

Rebecca Kimberly