education

Association implements teacher evaluation software

The Indiana Association of Public School Superintendents is working with Standard for Success, an online evaluation and management software, to observe and evaluate Indiana teachers.

The Indiana Association of School Principals and more than 375 schools throughout the nation are using technology to make teacher evaluations more streamlined and efficient, according to a press release. 

This announcement comes a few weeks after the Indiana Department of Education released teacher evaluation grades for the first time ever.

The IDOE evaluations placed teachers in four categories from highly effective to ineffective. More than 87 percent of teachers in Indiana received a rating of highly effective or effective.

Unlike the IDOE evaluations, which are mandatory, the Standard for
Success software is simply a tool schools can choose to use if they feel it will help them better evaluate teachers.

“The Indiana Association of Public School Superintendents is thrilled about this high-quality evaluation tool and is urging district administrators to consider utilizing this as they conduct observations and evaluations of building administrators and teachers,” IAPSS Executive Director JT Coopman said in a press release.

More than 375 schools in more than 80 school districts nationwide use the program, according to the release.

Standard for Success lists 74 school corporations and schools from Indiana on its website that use its service. Monroe County Community School Corporation is not one of them.

“The IAPSS Board of Directors and staff spent a significant amount of time vetting Standard For Success and other evaluation platforms and are confident that SFS provides a nice, cost-effective platform for schools to complete their teacher/employee evaluations that will enhance performance,” Coopman said in the release.

The Standard for Success software is completely mobile and can be accessed by a tablet or laptop.

“We’re extremely honored to earn the opportunity to work with the Indiana Association of Public School Superintendents and value their input along with the Indiana Association of School Principals, who are highly regarded as two of Indiana’s premier leadership organizations,” Todd Whitlock, chief executive officer of Standard for Success, said in the release. “As educators ourselves, we understand the very large and varied responsibilities of administrators and teachers. Working with the educational leadership associations allows us to continue to adapt the product to meet the schools’ needs.”

Sydney Murray