sports softball

Softball begins Big Ten play getting swept by Michigan

The IU softball team went 3-5 in the last 10 days, including 0-3 in the Big Ten opener in Ann Arbor, Mich.

The Hoosiers now have a record of 8-21-1, including 0-3 in conference play. IU will be back in action next week at home in a three-game series with Ohio State.

Although IU struggled at the start of conference play, IU Coach Michelle Gardner said she is encouraged by some of the things that she saw in the team.

“This team is much better than our record,” Gardner said. “We didn’t want to start the Big Ten off this way, but the team never quit battling.”

During the first day of the Hoosier Classic, IU swept University of Illinois-Chicago and Toledo.

Freshman second baseman Erin Lehman led the offensive attack during the first game of the weekend against UIC.

With the bases loaded in the bottom of the fourth inning, Lehman hit a triple to clear the bases.

Junior outfielder Brianna Meyer brought Lehman in to score on the next at-bat.
In the 5-2 victory over Toledo, sophomore first baseman Kassi Farmer hit two home runs for the second time this season. Her first multi-home run game was against San Jose State on Feb. 8.

Farmer is the third player in program history to hit multiple home runs in a single game two or more times.

Senior pitcher Meagan Murphy struck out a season-high eight batters in five innings against Toledo.

On the second day, IU defeated Wright State in the first game of the
doubleheader.

Against Wright State, freshman first baseman CaraMia Tsirigos and senior shortstop Breanna Saucedo led the offensive effort.

Tsirigos hit a three-run home run during the first inning, while Saucedo put together her sixth multiple hit game of the season. 

Despite a 10-9 loss in the second game against UIC, IU sophomore infielder Michelle Huber scored four runs for a career-high.

The Hoosiers found themselves with a one-run deficit heading into the top of the seventh inning.

In the final inning, UIC scored three runs, just enough to solidify the win.
UIC ended IU’s six-game winning streak, which was the longest streak for the Hoosiers this season.

Tsirigos, who was named the Big Ten’s Freshman of the Week due to her performance in the Hoosier Classic, finished the weekend hitting 3-for-6 and reached base in every game she played in. Tsirigos also hit a home run and drove in five runs.

Gardner said Tsirigos is starting to develop into a threat in IU’s lineup.   

“It’s a great honor to have someone named Freshman of the Week,” Gardner said. “CaraMia is very talented and it took her a little while to get adjusted, but she is going to do some great things for us.”

In a mid-week game Tuesday against No. 8 Kentucky, both teams were scoreless heading into the top of the fifth inning.

With two outs, Kentucky junior catcher Griffin Joiner hit a three-run home run to give the Wildcats the first lead of the game.

The Wildcats would go on to score two more runs to give them a 5-0 victory.
Friday, IU opened conference play with a doubleheader against No. 6
Michigan.  

Despite registering six hits, the Hoosiers fell to the Wolverines 8-0 in six
innings.

In the second game, Michigan defeated IU 9-1 in just five innings.
Saucedo registered another multiple-hit game, and she also hit a triple to drive in IU’s only run of the afternoon.

In the final game of the Big Ten series opener, Michigan defeated IU 12-3 in six innings.

The Hoosiers started sophomore pitcher Brooke Boetjer, who is normally a relief pitcher. Freshman outfielder Natalie Lalich drove in two runs on a single in the top of the first inning.

Sophomore catcher Kelsey Dotson also got involved on offense, hitting a solo home run in the top of the second inning.

Saucedo extended her hitting streak to seven games. Gardner attributes to her finally getting into a rhythm after returning to the team from an injury last season.

“She’s getting comfortable and coming into her own,” Gardner said. “She’s playing great.”