politics

Pence declines to sign bill pausing Energizing Indiana

Gov. Mike Pence opted to withhold from signing a bill passed by the Indiana General Assembly to “pause” Energizing Indiana’s energy-efficiency program, but the legislation will still become law without the governor’s signature.

Pence issued a statement Thursday stating his disappointment in the General Assembly for eliminating the energy efficiency program without offering viable
alternatives.

“Low-cost energy is an essential element of Indiana’s economic development and prosperity,” Pence said in the release.

“By reducing our need for electricity, we reduce our need to build expensive power plants at a cost to Hoosier ratepayers. For this reason, I believe that energy efficiency is an important part of our ‘all of the above’ energy strategy.”

Pence said he intended to re-introduce energy efficiency legislation in the 2015 legislative session.

The governor also said he did not veto the bill because this would increase costs for taxpayers and energy consumers, but he refused to sign the legislation because it “does away with a worthwhile energy efficiency program.”

The bill has had mixed reviews among many Hoosiers.

A number of organizations in Monroe County participate in programs organized by Energizing Indiana.

The foundation promises to donate $25 to a participating organization of the customer’s choice for each customer who undergoes a Home Energy Assessment.

“I think it’s definitely been helpful for us to be recipient of some of those funds, and all of the folks that we’ve talked to who have gone through the assessment process have felt it was definitely helpful for them and has helped them reduce energy costs,” said Vicki Pierce, executive director of Community Kitchen of Monroe County.

Energizing Indiana lists 15 organizations on its website to donate to in Monroe County.

These organizations use donations to try to spread awareness of energy efficiency while working to reduce their own energy costs, Pierce said.

The program is led by the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor and other participating utilities and organizations.

Its goal is “to offer comprehensive energy efficiency programs that bring savings to communities across the state,” according to the Energizing Indiana website.

“What Energizing Indiana has done for me, personally, has brought an awareness of the energy use in my own home and made me aware of where I can cut back and where I can save,” said Rev. Charlie Dupree of Trinity Episcopal Church, one of the participating Monroe County organizations.

However, the majority of the Indiana General Assembly, including the bill’s author

Senate Utilities Chairman Jim Merritt, is not sure the cost to taxpayers is worth the program’s benefits.

The bill passed the final vote in the Senate, 37-8.

Some organizations in Monroe County say they have not witnessed noticeable differences since becoming part of the Energizing Indiana program.

“I don’t think we’ve received any funds,” said Rev. John Meany of St. Paul Catholic Center, also a participating Monroe County organization. “I haven’t seen any money and, in any case, it was very nominal, if anything.”

Meany said, however, that he generally supported the program as a good
opportunity for individuals to improve housing weatherization and lower their energy bills.

Jodi Perras, the Indiana Beyond Coal representative, disagrees with the Assembly, arguing Energizing Indiana is vital to the employment of hundreds of workers.

She estimated close to 400 jobs could be lost due to the passage of the bill, not including hired contractors.

Perras’ said the lowered energy costs and creation of jobs from the program far outweigh its cost to the consumer.

“Spending two or three dollars to reduce energy demand and avoid the need for new power plants is something that Bloomington customers should appreciate,” Perras said.

Sen. Mark Stoops, D-40th District, who represents the majority of Monroe County, has spoken out against the bill, putting Bloomington on the Democrats’ side of this partisan issue, Perras said.

“Our strongest allies in this fight were Democrats,” Perras said.
Perras also said there were Republican senators who opposed the bill and Democratic senators who voted in favor of it.

“I think anything that gets us looking at our energy consumption and ways to decrease it as home owners, business operators or just communities is definitely an investment that we ought to have,” Pierce said.