Men against rape

A program called “the Men Against Rape and Sexual Assault” came to IU to talk to fraternity brothers about sexual assault prevention.

I think that’s the bee’s knees.

More programs like this need to happen at IU, especially when it seems that every other week there’s a new report of sexual assault or rape in Bloomington. Moreover, what I really appreciated was the program seems geared specifically toward men and what men need to know and hear about rape and assault.

That’s an area that’s severely lacking in assault discourses.

A lot of the discussion about rape culture centers around the victims — usually
women. This is not to say these discourses and discussions are not important. Clearly the victim’s struggle must be appreciated and fully understood — and to a certain extent the victim is more relatable.

Not a lot, however, is said about a man’s part to play in all this.

I say “man” here because the program was based on teaching men about what they can do to prevent assault. Men, it seems, are given a blasé and vague set of guidelines about how maybe they can maybe not rape people. Not many are fully versed at all in the different forms sexual assault can take. In fact, not many people in general can clearly recognize a rape, or know how to deal with assault — yours truly included.

It’s from this basic ignorance that rape culture stems, and it means this program, and others like it, are extremely important.

It allows men to voice their opinions, to ask questions without fear of judgment or prejudice and to learn in an environment that will not automatically condemn them for their lack of knowledge.

It was also discussed how quickly fraternities gain a “rape frat” reputation, and what that means for the brothers who have pledged there.There is the insecurity of a job, the social stigma and, bluntly, the idea that the brother himself could be a rapist.

The program directors also said when a rape is reported, 70 percent of the time the woman was drunk and 80 percent of the time the man was drunk.

Not under the influence of any other drugs, but purely alcohol. They warned the drinking culture at IU practically lends itself to dangerous situations, which should make us stop and think.

But it’s through programs like this that we can really enact change. I’m glad IU is putting on events like it, and I definitely want to see more.

ewenning@indiana.edu
@EmmaWenninger