Little 500 concert performer announced

ScHoolBoy Q will headline the Little 500 Concert with special guests Isaiah Rashad, Vince Staples and Audio Push, Union Board announced Sunday night.

As a part of his Oxymoron World Tour, ScHoolBoy Q will perform at 7:30 p.m. April 24 in the IU Auditorium.

“Schoolboy Q has established himself as one of the hottest new rappers in the hip hop world,” said Mike Zak, Union Board director of music. “We are so lucky to host him for this year’s Little 500 concert.”

ScHoolBoy Q is a hip-hop recording artist, most known for his “energetic performances and original dynamic beats,” Zak said.

The artist is a member of Black Hippy, a West Coast hip-hop group that includes Jay Rock, Ab-Soul and Kendrick Lamar.

ScHoolBoy Q first signed to Top Dawg Entertainment in 2009 and secured a recording contract with Interscope Records in 2011.

Since gaining recognition for his singles “Collard Greens,” released in June 2013, and “Man of the Year,” released in November, he released his debut album, “Oxymoron,” at the end of February.

“His new album, ‘Oxymoron,’ is currently topping the charts on iTunes and reached No. 1 on U.S. Billboard 200, No. 1 on U.S. Top R&B and hip-hop albums and No. 1 on U.S. Top Rap Albums,” Zak said.

Although Union Board hasn’t always organized a concert for Little 500, it has become a tradition in recent years, said Paul Yoon, Union Board vice president of marketing.

Popular artists have included Macklemore in 2013, and Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj in 2009.

“Students look forward to not only the race, but events that go on during the week as well,” Yoon said. “The Little 500 Concert is one of the iconic Little 500 week events to go to.”

Three supporting acts will also take the stage.

Hip-hop recording artist Isaiah Rashad, rapper Vince Staples and hip-hop duo Audio Push will accompany ScHoolBoy Q.

“Isaiah Rashad is also on the TDE label with ScHoolBoy and Kendrick,” Zak said. “Last year during the 2013 BET hip-hop awards, Isaiah created a buzz around him and it kind of got his name out there in the hip-hop world and helped further develop the TDE label.”

After being presented in Assembly Hall a year ago, the 2014 Little 500 concert will move back to the IU Auditorium.

Union Board will target Bloomington, Indianapolis and possibly West Lafayette to fill the 3,200 seats, Yoon said.

While the artist announcement is coming nearly a month later than past years, Zak said Union Board worked with a $140,000 total budget to bring the best possible concert to the students.

Because the concert is back in the auditorium, students can purchase tickets by charging the cost to their bursar accounts.

Student tickets go on sale Tuesday, priced between $35 and $45. Wednesday, tickets go on sale for the general public for $45-$55.

Zak said Union Board is excited to bring an artist who is newly popular in the hip-hop world.

“He’s the next Kendrick Lamar,” Zak said. “He’s next in line to be a huge star.”