student life

Students explore majors at fair

CAROUSELcaMajorsMore

Students without a major had some help weighing their options at IU’s first Majors and More Fair Wednesday.

From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., all of IU’s schools had representatives stuffed inside Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union.

“Our goal was to put all the programs together in one place to help students find their way,” said Alice Dobie-Galuska, a University Division academic advisor who helped coordinate the event.

The College of Arts and Sciences, containing a vast majority of IU’s majors, was divided into departments at the fair. Professors, faculty members and students, in some cases, represented each department.

“This is an event that I think could be really awesome,” said Alexa Yarnelle, senior assistant director of student services at the CDC.

She stressed the importance of the section of the fair which offered students service and internship information.

“We’re trying to help students consider all the possibilities that are available to them at IU to make the most informed decision possible about their major,” Yarnelle said.
Freshman Emily Farrel braved the weather looking to gather information about a journalism degree.

But she said she was also interested in the School of Public and Environmental Affair’s law and public policy program.

She said she isn’t sure where she’ll be headed.

“I wanna be able to get a job and go to law school if I choose,” Farrel said.

Establishing connections between students’ majors and the careers they want in the future was Andrea White’s strategy for helping attendees.

A career advisor and assistant director at the CDC, White said the decision-making process can be harder without the right information.

Both University Division and the CDC said they plan on making the Majors and More Fair an annual event.

Dobie-Galuska said students who aren’t sure of the career path they want to take should ask for help choosing a major they can stay interested in.

“One that they’re gonna love, one that they’re gonna be motivated to study,” she said.

Follow reporter
Anna Hyzy on Twitter
@annakhyzy.