Robinhey steps up against Iowa

spIUBBvsIowa

When the stars from last year left the team, everybody knew IU probably wouldn’t be hanging another banner.

But fans did expect this to be a mid-tier, scrappy and hardnosed Big Ten team.

Last night was the preseason vision coming to fruition.

Even though IU (16-12, 6-9) probably aren’t going dancing come March, a 93-86 victory over No. 20 Iowa (19-9, 8-7) sure tasted sweet to Hoosier Nation.

Charles Barkley has a theory that I subscribe to.

He says at home, you can almost expect your role players to flourish and do well. But on the road, that’s when the stars have to step up.

The lack of a third and fourth banana has plagued this team all year.

Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell and Noah Vonleh have been magnificent all season.

Vonleh has lived up to the hype and is destined to make a lot of money in
the NBA.

Ferrell has stepped up and proven hecan be a legitimate No. 1 option.
But beyond that, it’s been slim pickings.

The lack of depth has hurt IU this year. Ferrell and Vonleh have carried too much of the burden.

So if the dynamic duo doesn’t play well, the Hoosiers have little to no shot at winning.
Well, except for last night.

While Ferrell and Vonleh combined for just 12 points on 3-of-7 shooting, senior Will Sheehey and freshman Stan Robinson both had career highs.

Sheehey poured in 30 points on 12-of-20 shooting while Robinson was 5-of-6 from the field for 17 points.

Even more impressive for Robinson was his effectiveness at the line.

He was 7-for-10 after coming into the game shooting a woeful 51 percent from the charity stripe.

To be effective as a slasher and have confidence in his own shot, Robinson desperately needs to improve free throw shooting. And at least for last night, he did.

Whether you prefer #Sheebinson or #Robinhey — personally I prefer #Robinhey, but #Sheebinson is solid as well — there’s no doubt the combination of the senior and the freshman willed IU to victory.

Role players needed to step up this entire season. And tonight they did. It might be too little too late for this season, but next season the role players need to make last night a regular thing.

IU has the talent, and last night it showed how dangerous it can be once the talent plays up to their potential.

Robinson is a freshman. Hollowell, who has actually been playing terrific the last couple games, is a sophomore. Ferrell is a sophomore. Vonleh is a freshman, but could be making millions next year playing in the NBA.

Besides the potential loss of Vonleh and the graduations of Sheehey and Evan Gordon, this could be one of the most talented teams in the conference next season.

As a Cubs fan, I have a certain motto that I’ve adopted not by choice, but necessity for my own sanity. Most of the time it’s said with tongue and cheek, but for IU fans this could really be the truth if certain pieces fall into place.

Just wait until next year.

­ehoopfer@indiana.edu
@EvanHoopfer