arts performances

Patty Griffin performs at the Buskirk

CAROUSELentPatty

Facing possibilities of snowfall and miles of highway, dedicated fans travelled from states away to see Patty Griffin perform Tuesday night at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Audience members Kelly Rains and Monet Bramblette made the journey to Bloomington from Louisville, Ky.

Bramblette said they arrived just before the snowstorm hit.

“We were ready and willing to see Patty,” Bramblette said. “She’s such a good show.”
Folk singer Anais Mitchell opened for the Grammy-award winning artist with a solo acoustic guitar set at 8 p.m.

Both Mitchell and Griffin acknowledged the audience for coming out despite the snow.
“You guys made it out in the snow. I’m so proud of you,” Griffin said. “You’re the brave ones, so thank you.”

Rains said she has been a fan of Griffin’s for several years and has seen her in concert multiple times.

“Your soul connects to every word that she has,” Rains said. “She wants her audience to give her their soul.”

Travelling with Rains, Bramblette said she has also seen Griffin perform multiple times.
“Her lyrics are well written,” Bramblette said. “I’ve never been to a concert where she didn’t disappoint. She seems like a genuinely good person.”

Griffin performed on both the acoustic guitar and the piano. She was accompanied by bass player Craig Ross, who produced Griffin’s 2013 album, “American Kid.”

Among the songs she played on the guitar was “Little God,” a track from “Silver Bell.” Also released in 2013, “Silver Bell” was originally planned for release in 2000.

Other audience members matched Bramblette and Rains’ willingness to see Griffin.

Illinois resident Rita Calvert drove five-and-a-half hours to the show from a western suburb of Chicago. Calvert said she knew about the incoming snow, so she made the trip a day early to see Griffin.

“She was on my wish list of people to see in this venue because it is so beautiful and quiet and polite,” Calvert said. “The vibe here is beautiful.”

Calvert said she enjoys Griffin’s music, particularly her gospel-inspired songs.

“They bring me back to my childhood,” Calvert said. “It’s honest. She really sings from her heart.”

Bloomington resident Chuck Hanners said he enjoys Griffin’s songs because they’re relatable and allow him to make emotional connections.

“She’s probably the best female singer-songwriter out there,” Hanners said. “Her songs are very poignant and heartfelt.”

Joe Valentino and his friend Susan Lowry drove in the snow from Indianapolis.

“When you get a chance to see Patty, you go and see her,” Valentino said.

He said Griffin is a talented songwriter and musician with quality artistry.

“She is a songsmith, a craftsman,” Valentino said. “I just appreciate what she has to offer, and a little snow’s not going to stand in our way.”