Men’s tennis team ends 12-day layoff with two matches

The No. 58 IU men’s tennis team returns to action Friday against No. 18 Vanderbilt and unranked Toledo following a 12-day layoff.

Facing a ranked opponent is not an uncommon occurrence for either IU (6-4) or Vanderbilt (7-1). The Commodores have played six ranked opponents going 5-1 in those matches.

IU is one of the few teams that has played more ranked opponents than Vanderbilt, but the Hoosiers only have three wins against the seven ranked opponents they have played.

However, just two of the seven matches have been played in Bloomington, where IU Coach Randy Bloemendaal said the Hoosiers are at their best.

In comparison, Friday’s match will be the first time the Commodores have played a competitive match outside of Nashville, Tenn.

“We want to defend our home courts, we play well on our home courts,” Bloemendaal said. “I think they’re going to be ready to come after us because they know we play well on our home courts.”

The Hoosiers are 5-1 at home this season, and the team views this home court advantage as a possible edge against the Commodores.

Bloemendaal said he believes his team is as talented as any in the country, and views this match against Vanderbilt as an opportunity to prove that.

The nearly two weeks the Hoosiers have gone without playing a match could potentially cost the Hoosiers, but Bloemendaal said he believes the layoff will actually have a positive impact on the team.

“It’s never easy to do, but I felt that this year it was a big positive for the guys,” Bloemendaal said. “The hardest thing to do when you have the layoff is getting back in there and competing again, but I think our guys are chomping at the bit to really compete and want to get out there and go after somebody other than themselves.”

Bloemendaal said he believes the layoff will have a positive effect because of the youth of his team. He said he believes the two-week break helped his young team get grounded and step into leadership roles.

IU will need all the leadership it can muster against the Commodores, who are one of the most experienced and talented teams in the country, Bloemendaal said.

The Commodores boast the No. 10 and No. 82 singles players, while the Hoosiers have no singles players in the top 125. Vanderbilt also fields the No. 6 doubles team, while the Hoosiers don’t have a ranked doubles tandem.

Instead of feeling intimidated, Bloemendaal said sophomore Sam Monette and junior Sven Lalic are potential top 10 players. He said the top four players in his lineup are as strong as any in the country.

Bloemendaal said although the second match against Toledo (4-9) may not be as high profile as Vanderbilt, it is equally important. He said he believes the match will help his young team continue to improve playing with leads, and maintain its focus no matter the caliber of the opponent.

Although Bloemendaal said he views his team as extremely talented, he says it is time for his team to achieve better results.

Friday’s matches are the perfect opportunity to improve, he said.

“This will be a good indicator,” Bloemendaal said. “I think it’s one thing to play well, and it’s another thing to go out there and get the number beside your name — and it’s time for them to do that.”

Follow reporter Michael Hughes on Twitter @MichaelHughes94