sports baseball

Major League clubs sizing up Hoosiers

Coming off of last year’s monumental improvement and trip to the College World Series in Omaha, the IU baseball team now faces what may be the highest expectations in team history. Luckily for them, according to various media outlets and scouts, the Hoosiers have several players with professional talent who will lead them this season.

Last June, the Hoosiers had three players drafted in the MLB draft, all by the Minnesota Twins. Pitcher Aaron Slegers went in the fifth round at pick No. 140, third baseman Dustin DeMuth went in the eighth round at pick No. 230 and closer Ryan Halstead went in the 26th round at pick No. 770.

Both DeMuth and Halstead declined to sign with the Twins and chose to return to IU in hopes of winning a national championship. They join catcher Kyle Schwarber, first baseman Sam Travis and pitcher Joey DeNato as players likely to be drafted come June.

Kyle Schwarber

The lefty hit .366 with 18 home runs and 54 RBIs last season, his home run total good for third in the country. He is a first round pick from every notable college baseball site, including Baseball America, Scouting Baseball, SB Nation and Bleacher Report. Baseball America ranked him the No. 16 college prospect, SB Nation had him No. 28 overall of all prospects and Scouting Baseball ranked him No. 14. Early mock drafts have Schwarber being taken in the 16-26 range in the first round.

Sam Travis

Following Schwarber is the other “Bash Brother,” Travis. Last season he hit .316 with 10 home runs and 57 RBIs. He was ranked the No. 50 college prospect by Baseball America and No. 56 overall by SB Nation. He could go as high as the second round, or as low as the fifth.

Dustin DeMuth

DeMuth was drafted by the Minnesota Twins, but decided to return to IU for his senior season. Last season he hit .377 with five home runs, 24 doubles and 41 RBI’s. He was rated the No. 96 college prospect by Baseball America and ranked No. 238 of all prospects. He is projected to be a pick in the fifth through ninth rounds.

Ryan Halstead

Also deciding to return for his senior season was Halstead, who has the IU record for saves with 22. Last season he had a 2.89 ERA and 11 saves and limited batters to an average of .189. He was not ranked in the top 100 college players by Baseball America, or among SB Nation’s top 300 overall prospects. He was, however, selected in the 26th round last year by the Twins. He was also drafted in the 36th round out of high school by the Houston Astros, but turned them down to play at IU.

Joey DeNato

DeNato, who is also a senior, is the top returning starting pitcher for the Hoosiers. Last season, he went 10-2 with a 2.52 ERA with 87 strikeouts in 103.2 innings. He was not drafted last year, but with an opportunity to build on his resume this season at the top of the rotation, he may be drafted this year. He was not ranked in either list.

— Andrew Vailliencourt