sports women's basketball

IU prepares to make postseason push

CAROUSELIUWBBvsWisconsin

At this point in the IU women’s basketball season last year, the Hoosiers were 10-14 with one lone win in conference, en route to finishing last in the Big Ten.

What a difference a year can make.

ESPN women’s basketball bracketologist Charlie Creame has IU projected as a No. 12 seed in next month’s NCAA Tournament. He has the Hoosiers playing No. 5 California in Lexington, Ky.

“The Hoosiers sneak back into the field but have a daunting week with Penn State and Nebraska on tap,” Creame wrote.

With six Big Ten regular season games and next month’s Big Ten Tournament left to play, IU has less than one month to pad its résumé and get invited to the big dance.
Monday’s RPI update through NCAA.com has IU ranked as the fourth best team in the Big Ten at No. 39.

IU Coach Curt Miller said he believes IU will need to finish 4-2 to make the NCAA Tournament, and added he believes IU winning two games would get the Hoosiers an invitation to play in the WNIT.

IU has not been to the NCAA Tournament since losing to TCU 55-45 in the opening round in 2002. The Hoosiers are 1-4 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, with the lone win coming in 1983 when IU beat Kentucky 87-76.

Because of IU’s youth, Miller said the coaching staff has begun to change
practice format in recent weeks in an attempt to ensure the freshness of his players as they make a potential postseason run.

By this time of year, the girls basketball high school season is coming to an end for many schools. This is the longest season many of the IU freshmen have played in their careers.

“We still have (six) games left, let alone the tournament,” Miller said. “We’re trying not to over-practice. We’re trying to practice with intensity but for shorter durations and never go too long.”

IU has relied on heavy scouting throughout the season, because the first-year players are seeing their opponents for the first time.

Miller said this part of the schedule has remained the same and will remain crucial down the stretch run of the season.

“We’re trying to keep the preparation for scouting reports the same and trying to keep them on their routine,” he said.

Miller said upperclassmen like senior forward Simone Delaoch have taken on the duty of helping the younger players  stay fresh.

Deloach said she remembers what it was like to go through th  e long season for the first time, and she said she is doing her part to help the younger players take their minds off basketball when needed.

“We’re going to play basketball, but we’re also here to educate ourselves and to learn,” Deloach said. “Taking little trips to the mall or seeing a movie or even having family dinner night definitely helps to keep their mind off the stress of basketball and the stress of school at times.”

In just his second season at the helm of the program, Miller said the possibility of playing in the postseason is exciting, but the Hoosiers have a long month ahead of them.

“Certainly, on Feb. 10, it’s really, really fun to even be talking about this subject,” Miller said on his radio show Monday.

“But I’m trying to preach to our team that it’s still about the process and (taking it) game by game.”

Follow reporter Sam Beishuizen on Twitter @Sam_Beishuizen.