Go read a book

While browsing Pinterest, I came across a 2012 article entitled “10 Books You Must Read to Your Daughter (Or How To Keep Your Daughter from Ending Up Like that Horrid Girl from Twilight).” I was impressed with the list.

If you’ll allow me to scoot my soapbox front and center, I think it’s high time we all read a book.

I remember my aunt forcing me to read “Pride and Prejudice” one summer, declaring it was practically a rite of passage, and every girl needed to read it.

My roommate placed “Anna Karenina” carefully outside my door, an invitation to engage with her in some of her favorite material.

My mom, for her New Year’s Resolution, decided she would read a new book every month. Since I’m clearly a literary expert, she asked me to compile a list for her.

For the people in my life, and for myself, it seems we can’t read unless told to.

It also seems, unless assigned, most students won’t read for pleasure. And I understand why. Students barely have time to sleep for pleasure. Busy work schedules and homework overload aren’t exactly conducive to curling up with a good book.

When I’m at the library dissecting an academic article, I would much rather spend an evening turning myself into a vegetable in front of the television than expanding my horizons by reading “War and Peace.” So, though I can’t judge, the point I’m making here is books are important.

The books on the “10 Books You Must Read to Your Daughter” list were typical. They were what every little girl should have on her shelf — “Anne of Green Gables,” “Little Women” and “Harry Potter.” But there were also some interesting choices as well, like “Kristen Lavransdatter” and “Jane Eyre.”

I wouldn’t exactly recommend those selections to a 10-year-old, but I think the point was girls should read them at least before they turn 18. It was a compilation of strong women with stronger moral compasses, all geared toward preventing another Twi-hard.

It made me think about exactly what slippery slope we let ourselves slide down. We’ve become so busy and so in need of a fast-paced consumer market, we’ve created a 21st-century female icon that does more damage than good.

This is not to say writers aren’t currently creating female characters that are brilliant and complex. One look at anything written by Alice Hoffman will tell you it is not true.
But I think the fact such a list exists means we need to be taking a closer look at commercial literature.

And probably find something better to read.

ewenning@indiana.edu
@EmmaWenninge