arts performances

Back Door to show original play tonight

The Back Door will present the two-act play “A Mimicry of Natural Order” at 9 p.m. tonight.

This will be the establishment’s first theatrical presentation with a musical-staged show.

The play is a theatrical satire that focuses on modern culture and will feature original music, dance and acting done by Bloomington community members.

“‘A Mimicry of Natural Order’ is a fairy tale-themed play that focuses on a tower and the main character, the Lord of Reason, who lives in it,” director and creator Travis Puntarelli said. “Things take a turn for the worse when goblins that live underground rise up and attempt to overthrow and tear the tower down.”

Puntarelli said the play is a replication of the restrictions that are put on people’s rights in relation to the LGBT community.

“The whole piece is a commentary on social culture,” Puntarelli said. “It is a look at the way we have laws, rules, and reasons that are illogical and destructive, forcing us to accept change in culture.”

“Mimicry” features acoustic-style performances, painted masks, customized artwork and set design from IU art students and others.

The whole play was written by Puntarelli and his committee.

Crew members came from all over the Bloomington community, he said, and include Back Door employees, IU students and residents.

“Mimicry” was previously presented at the Rhino’s All Ages Music Club in Bloomington.

The show at the Back Door is set to be more adult-oriented while still portraying the same message.

“Basically, I wanted to tell a simple story about the lead character who is the Lord of Reason with his zealot nature and super backhanded morals,” Puntarelli said. “Audiences will learn of his fall and what he needs to do in order to regain his power.”

Doors will open at 8 p.m. tonight. Attendees must be 21 years of age or older.

There is a $10 suggested contribution for each audience member, and all proceeds will be used to support community theater.

Follow reporter Anthony Broderick on Twitter @aebrodakirck.