sports women's basketball

IU seniors find success after struggles

For Simone Deloach and Milika Taufa, winning was routine during their high school careers.

Stepping on campus their freshman year at IU, they had no idea just how tough the beginning of their college careers would be.

Now seniors, the former freshman year roommates and their fellow senior teammates are enjoying greater success. The Hoosiers’ 15 wins this season is equal to the total number of wins Deloach and Taufa had experienced between their freshman and sophomore years.

“We both came in with the expectation of changing the program and helping it build,” Deloach said. “Seeing that their previous records were doing well and coming in and experiencing that, it was different. Coming from successful high school teams, it was different for us.”

The two arrived in Bloomington during fall 2010. The Hoosiers finished 9-20 their first year with the program,

The following year, the team regressed and finished 6-24.

“Overall, I only lost like 10 games out of my four years in high school,” Taufa said. “Coming here and losing kind of hurt a little bit, but it was a different level. I knew coming here it was more up-tempo and physical.”

Being from Texas and Hawaii, attending school in Bloomington meant being far away from home for both players. This common bond drove their motivation.

“I think we really helped each other staying motivated, getting each other in the gym, staying on each other academically,” Deloach said.

The two realized senior year would arrive before they knew it, so they continued to encourage each other.

“Let’s do what we can to change this program for the better,” Deloach said to Taufa. “Let’s stick it out.”

Deloach said Taufa would repeat this sentiment back to her.

“I think that’s something I respect out of our relationship as seniors now, is that we really stuck it out together,” Deloach said.

Following the 6-24 season, IU fired Coach Felisha Legette-Jack and brought in Curt Miller, the Hoosiers’ current head coach. The team improved during Deloach and Taufa’s junior year, going 11-19 in Miller’s first season at the helm.

The Hoosiers had only three juniors and four seniors last season. Including senior transfer Tabitha Gerardot, they have four seniors this season.

Graduate student Sasha Chaplin was a senior last season and is in her final year of eligibility.

“Last year, it felt like everyone was freshmen,” Miller said. “And now your senior class is actually your veterans, and they know your system.”

The Hoosiers went undefeated in non-conference play this season, winning all 13 games. Though they sit at 2-5 in Big Ten play, they’re enjoying one of their most successful seasons yet.

When IU recorded its 15th win, a Jan. 19 home victory against Minnesota, it guaranteed a winning record in the regular season.

The team has recorded many milestones along the way, notably beginning the season 14-0 — the best start in program history.   

Deloach and Taufa want to add to the accomplishments. Deloach specifically wants the team to gain respect.

“I mean, just from our community I think they’ve always been there from us, always,” she said. “And I think we’re building on that, and I really appreciate them 100 percent.
And I think they’re going to continue to come.”

Deloach also said she hopes to return to a packed Assembly Hall when she comes back five to 10 years later.

“I hope down the line — four years, five years, 10 years from now — we can come back and we can see this place packed because of what Coach Miller has instilled in this community and this program,” she said. “I hope that that continues.”

When the Hoosiers face Northwestern at home Thursday night, they will try to build on the 15 wins they’ve already achieved and snap a two-game losing streak.

Regardless of the outcome of the season, Miller said it’s nice that the seniors will be sent off with a winning record.

“They’ll remember their senior season,” he said. “There were a lot of dark days throughout their college career, but they persevered.”

Discussing the season made Deloach feel emotional. She described it as “exciting” and “heartwarming.”

“I wouldn’t have changed any part of my experience here for anything,” she said. “It was meant to be what it was meant to be. We’re just really enjoying our senior year.”

Follow reporter Stuart Jackson on Twitter @Stuart_Jackson1.