Hoosiers defeat Samford

The Hoosiers will take on Virginia Saturday following their victory over Samford on Friday. The winner will advance to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.

No. 56 Indiana dispatched No. 65 Samford with relative ease. The Hoosiers beat the Bulldogs 6-1, while winning four out of six singles matches in straight sets.

Wining the doubles point was something that was emphasized by Coach Randy Bloemendaal before the tournament. The Hoosiers won the doubles point through victories by Sam Monette/Daniel Bednarczyk and Dimitrije Tasic/Sven Lalic.

“Anytime you win the doubles point it is huge, but especially in this new shortened format it makes a big difference with momentum,” Bloemendaal said. “It got us off to good start in singles and it helped us come out with some good energy.”

Fellow sophomores Monette and Bednarczyk also both continued their strong spring seasons on Friday. The two partnered for a 6-2 doubles victory before they both won their singles matches in straight sets.

The two have yet to lose a doubles match during the spring season.

“They have really good chemistry on the court,” Bloemendaal said. “They’re roommates, they get along great, and they grew up together playing in the same tournaments.”

Bloemendaal continued on to talk about how the duo’s relationship with one another propels them over their competition.

“It’s just a really good relationship between the two of them especially on the court,” Bloemendaal said. “When one’s not playing well the other picks him up and they just trust each other out there.”

The Hoosiers will need that trust and chemistry on Saturday where they will face a tougher opponent.

They will now play the defending national champions and current No. 1 team in the nation at their home arena.

“They’re great from top to bottom,” Bloemendaal said. “They’re a really good team and playing them at their place is going to be a tough experience.”

In addition to that depth, Virginia also boasts the third best singles player in the country in junior Mitchell Frank. Frank also combines with sophomore Mac Styslinger to form the 32nd best doubles pairing in the country.

The Cavaliers dismissed Elon 7-0 without losing a set all day.

One player who could play a huge factor in Saturay’s match is Monette.

Even though Monette won in straight sets today, Bloemendaal still believes he has more to offer.

“I still think he’s got another gear or two,” Bloemendaal said. “He played a very tight match today, very average for him. When a guy can win and play like that, you’re going to be a special player.”

Bloemendaal also emphasized that the Hoosiers stay focused on Saturday, and not to think too much about the potential impact of a victory.

“I think these opportunities have to ability to change the paradigm of your program very quickly, and our guys are excited about it,” Bloemendaal said. “Really we just don’t want the moment to take over and get in the way of our emotions and what we’re thinking out on the court.”

This is not to say that Bloemendaal does not recognize what a victory here might mean for the program.

“This is something that could really change the course of what we’re trying to do at Indiana.”

The Hoosiers play Virginia Saturday night at 6 PM for a berth in the ITA National Indoor championships.

Follow reporter Michael Hughes on Twitter @MichaelHughes94