sports women's basketball

Hoosiers bounce back from three-game losing streak

IU Coach Curt Miller said his players needed to make more “big shots” in order to win games against Big Ten opponents.

They did against Minnesota Sunday.

IU (15-3, 2-3) went 7-of-8 from the free-throw line and hit a pair of 3-point field goals en route to outscoring Minnesota 13-8 in overtime, securing an 83-78 victory.

Freshman guards Larryn Brooks and Taylor Agler combined for 45 points, 12 of which came in overtime, to snap a three-game Big Ten losing streak.

“They played fearless,” Miller said. “They hit shots when they needed to and didn’t pout when shots didn’t go in.”

The Hoosiers had the final possession in regulation with the game tied at 70 but failed to convert. Senior forward Simone Deloach did not have enough time to get off a last second shot, forcing overtime.

Brooks and Minnesota junior guard Rachel Banham exchanged free throws to open the overtime period. Minnesota freshman Amanda Zahui responded by getting to the foul line and hitting a pair of free throws of her own.

Agler hit a 3-pointer on the following possession to give IU a one-point lead. Zahui again responded with a layup to put the Gophers ahead by one point.

Zahui gave the Hoosier defense trouble through the entire game. The 6-foot-5 freshman scored 25 points off 10-of-11 shooting from the field. Her layup gave Minnesota the lead and quieted the Hoosier crowd.

Brooks responded to Zahui’s layup with exactly what Miller had been asking for out from his team — a big shot.

Brooks found open space after receiving a pass from Agler. Brooks, who was 3-of-7 from behind the arc before the shot, nailed a 3-pointer with 53 seconds remaining. Her 3-pointer proved to be the game winner as it brought IU ahead 79-76.

“I was struggling a little bit from the 3-point line, but that’s just my teammates having faith in me,” Brooks said. “(Agler) looked for me and then having the confidence in me to take the shot.”

Brooks’ 3-pointer proved to be the final made field goal of the game. As time winded down, IU’s defense forced Banham into missing a potential game-winning 3-pointer from just behind the arc.

The Hoosiers were able to limit Banham from converting on field goals down the stretch when she needed to most. The John R. Wooden Award Finalist converted on 8-of-17 shots from the field and finished with a game high 29 points, but she failed to make a field goal in overtime.

“We really stuck to the game plan, and she had 29 (points). She’s just that good of a player,” Miller said of Banham. “Fortunately, we kept them off the foul line right at the end enough.”

The Hoosiers took possession and Brooks converted on a pair of free throws, giving her a team high 25 points and sealing the victory.

The win comes just two days after being blown out by in-state rival Purdue, 86-53.

Miller said he was unsure about the way his young team would respond to the loss and was proud of the way they grinded out a win at home.

“For them to step back up after one day shows a lot of maturity for a young team,” Miller said.

Follow reporter Sam Beishuizen on Twitter @Sam_Beishuizen