Crean calls for Vonleh to be more demanding

Following IU’s 73-56 loss to No. 5 Michigan State at home on Saturday, IU Coach Tom Crean delivered a call to action to freshman forward Noah Vonleh. It was loud and clear; Crean wants Vonleh to have more authority in the paint.

“There’s no doubt he’s got to become a more demanding presence,” Crean said. “He works too hard on his game, he’s too good a person, he’s got to be a demanding presence and become downright a little selfish. I hate using that term but…that’s what he’s got to be around the paint.”

After posting four consecutive double-doubles to start the season, Vonleh’s points and rebounds have declined. The Haverhill, Mass. native has frequently been in foul trouble and in the Hoosiers’ losses, he has averaged 2.6 fewer points and 3.1 fewer rebounds per game than his season averages.

The Hoosiers (10-5, 0-2) will have an average height advantage of 1.2 inches per player in their game at Penn State (9-7, 0-3) on Saturday, providing Vonleh with an opportunity to be the demanding presence that Crean wants him to be.

According to Ken Pomeroy’s advanced college basketball statistics, the Nittany Lions’ most common lineup over the past five games, which Coach Pat Chambers used roughly 20 percent of the time in that span, features a frontcourt of 6-foot-6 Ross Travis, 6-foot-7 Brandon Taylor and 6-foot-9 Donovan Jack.

If Chambers continues to employ that popular combination on Saturday, the 6-foot-10, 240-pound Vonleh will have a significant size advantage down low.

Penn State’s track record shows that its frontcourt is vulnerable. In Big Ten play, the Nittany Lions have lost the rebounding battle by an average of 10 rebounds per game.

“We’ve got to do a better job of making sure we’re getting putbacks,” Crean said after the Michigan State loss. “We’ve got to find easy baskets, whether they’re post-ups, whether they’re through the lane, whether they’re offensive rebounds, or frankly, whether they’re free throws, so those are things that are really, really important.”

IU grabs nearly 42 percent of all available offensive rebounds, which is the sixth-best offensive rebound percentage in the country, and Vonleh is the main reason why the Hoosiers excel at crashing the boards. The freshman’s offensive rebound percentage is 13.4 percent.

Vonleh, who averages more than six free throw attempts per game, will match up against the foul–prone Jack, who commits 6.7 fouls per 40 minutes.

The freshman has achieved some of his highest point totals of the season on nights when he makes repeated trips to the charity stripe. He converted 13-of-16 free throws against Syracuse and he made 10-of-12 at Illinois.

Pomeroy projects IU to lose 76-75 and free throw shooting often decides the outcome of close games.

As the Hoosiers look to avoid a three-game losing streak, a mark IU has avoided since Jan. 18, 2012, Crean wants his players to take the next step in their development.

“We just need to play. We need to understand time and score, not play just going up and down the court but really understanding what the game is bringing,” he said. “The more you play, the more you learn that.”

On paper, Saturday’s matchup calls for an understanding that the game will provide an opportunity for Vonleh to be a dominant force in the paint.

Statistics courtesy of kenpom.com.

Follow men’s basketball reporter Andy Wittry on Twitter @AndyWittry.