New IFC executives take office

CAROUSELcaIFC

Members of the 2013  Interfraternity Council Executive Board handed control of the board to eight new men on Monday.

This transition, which happens every calendar year, provides fraternity members new leadership positions within the IFC.

The new executive board members will stay in office until the end of the fall 2014 semester, when a new board is elected to lead starting spring 2015.

Among the positions replaced were IFC President, Vice President of Membership Development, Vice President of Standards Board and Vice President of Communications.

Similar to that of the IU Panhellenic Association Executive Board, each member of the IFC Executive Board oversees a different aspect of IFC, such as membership, finance and community involvement.

Sean Jordan, a former IFC President as of Monday evening, reflected on the previous year of IFC.

“We’ve accomplished a lot in our initiatives,” Jordan said. “We’ve really created a foundation for these guys moving forward, and we’re excited to see what they can do in the coming term.”

Each vice president of IFC reflected on their past experiences and welcomed their new replacements.

“We’ve had a lot of risk management this semester,” Ben Weisel, former Vice President of Risk Management said. “But I think we’ve started a strong foundation with recognizing sexual assault and hazing, and we’ll see what the coming semesters hold.”

Aaron Millberg, the former Vice President of Standards Board, said this was the first year IFC held a universal set of standards for all IU IFC chapters to follow.

“We held our chapters accountable for living out their values,” Millberg said. “We were able to get different chapter members to collaborate on different projects, we were able to get men who normally wouldn’t be in a room together and get them to work together to continue with our standards.”

The new Vice President of Recruitment, Dylan Nash, said he hopes IFC will continue a sober, value-based recruitment process that he first started within his own fraternity, Lambda Chi Alpha.

“It’s important for people to find the right fit for them,” Nash said. “There are going to be a lot of great changes to the recruitment policies.”

In addition to welcoming the new executive board, IFC also bestowed its first three scholarships, one to a fraternity president and two to general members.

The President’s Scholarship of $1,500 was awarded to Joseph Moheban while the two $1,000 General Member Scholarships were awarded to Spencer Krug and Chris Tarpey.

Jordan spoke of the hopes and prospective plans for IFC moving forward.

“This is a field where we have a large opportunity for growth,” Jordan said. “I know these guys are going to have some great initiatives to get started on.”

The new Vice President of Community Programs, Wes Cuprill, also spoke of his future plans for IFC.

“One thing I noticed was that there really wasn’t any unity between chapters,” Cuprill said. “I’m going to encourage joint philanthropy between houses, and I want to bring back Greek Week. I want us competing with each other rather than against each other.”

Jordan welcomed his own replacement, Russ Siadatian.

“For my upcoming goals, there is one big, overall theme, getting general members on the same page as all of us,” Siadatian said. “Both how we feel about the fraternity system and greek life in general.”

Siadatian said he hopes the greek system will move forward as a whole.

“We have to come together as a community,” Siadatian said. “This upcoming year is a big year for the greek community. With everything involving social media, I look forward to tackling through this with our guys and moving the greek system forward.”

Follow reporter Tori Lawhorn on Twitter @ToriLawhorn.