sports women's basketball

IU to face Morehead State Sunday

spIUWBB

Coming off of a gutty performance against Virginia Tech in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, the IU women’s basketball team looks to accomplish something it was unable to do last year when it faces Morehead State this Sunday: win more than two road games.

“We’re 2-0 on the road this year and we want to keep that momentum going,” IU Coach Curt Miller said. “We have a chance to surpass our road win total in early December if we can come away with the win.”

Miller said the Eagles’ style of play is unique and a great matchup for the Hoosiers.

“They play a five-out offense, where every single player on the floor can shoot threes,” Miller said.

With every player able to shoot threes, Miller said this takes the post players away from the basket. This shooting and style of play is something the IU players also recognize.

“They’re all shooters,” freshman guard Larryn Brooks said. “That’s something we’re going to have to take pride in, making them go two (rather than three).”

Miller said he likes the swagger and confidence his team is playing with heading into Sunday’s game, but he knows the matchup will have its challenges.

“It is not an easy matchup for us, compounded by the fact that some of their strengths are our weaknesses,” he said.

Brooks said the competition is even with every game.

“As a team, no team is better than the other. On any given night, they (Morehead State) could beat us,” Brooks said. “We’re just gonna keep that confidence and keep that hype from the Virginia Tech game and take it over to Morehead (State).”

Morehead State (4-6) is shooting 36.4 percent from the field and 25.8 percent from 3-point range. Senior guard Terrice Robinson leads the team in field goal and 3-point shooting at 38.5 percent and 38.3 percent, respectively.

Miller said Robinson’s shooting ability makes her hard to guard.

“If you try to play off of her to take away the outstanding penetrator that she is, she’s a great 3-point shooter,” Miller said. “If you try to take the 3-point shot away, she’s a terrific one-on-one player that can get you in foul trouble with the new hand-checking emphasis or can get herself to the basket.”

Brooks said it will be fun to be on the road again coming off a five-game homestand.

“We’ll see how we do to bounce back not at home going up against another home crowd,” she said.

Miller said this will be a game within a game for the Hoosiers because of the potential to exceed last year’s road win total.

“We talked about a young program learning to win on the road was going to be a big difference for us,” Miller said. “For us to pass our road win total in December would be a big deal.”

Follow women's basketball reporter Stuart Jackson on Twitter @Stuart_Jackson1.