IU, Syracuse change since last matchup

IUBB v Syracuse

When IU plays Syracuse tonight at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y., it will be labeled as a rematch of last year’s Sweet 16 game.

But it’s a little different.

Three of Syracuse’s eight players who saw time in the game last year are gone, and seven of the 11 Hoosiers who played are no longer part of the team.

Of the five Syracuse players who are returning, they combined for only 18 of the Orange’s 61 points in that March 28 matchup, with 11 of those coming from Orange now-senior forward C.J Fair. Senior forward Will Sheehey’s nine points are all that return of IU’s 50-point effort.

“The bottom line is it’s completely different,” IU Coach Tom Crean said. “It doesn’t do a lot of good to put a lot of time into that game because everybody is so
different.”

IU started just two players who were taller than 6-foot-7 in last year’s game. Tonight, IU will likely start four players who are 6-foot-7 or taller.

With the addition of freshmen forwards Noah Vonleh and Troy Williams as well 6-foot-8 sophomore forward Jeremy Hollowell moving into the starting lineup, IU has a team that is more dominant on the glass, something Crean said IU will have to attack.

“Both teams are completely different than last year,” Sheehey said. “We’re a little bit better rebounding team than last year. We’ve got a good game plan and we’re going to go in and try to do what we do, move the ball and move bodies.”

Last year, Syracuse point guard Michael Carter-Williams, standing at 6-foot-6, dominated the Hoosiers, putting up a game-high 24 points. He was drafted No. 11 in June’s NBA Draft and now plays for the Philadelphia 76ers.

The man who matched up against Carter-Williams is returning, though, but in a completely different role. Now-sophomore point guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell failed to score a point in 23 minutes of action against Syracuse in March and managed to dish out only one assist.

With the departures of Cody Zeller, Christian Watford, Victor Oladipo, Jordan Hulls and Derek Elston, Ferrell has been looked to as one of IU’s primary scoring threats this season. Thus far, he has averaged a team-best 18.1 points per game.

“It motivated him, I don’t think there’s any question, this summer,” Crean said. “He was motivated. I think he’s a different player. I think he’s a much better player with his
percentages.

“I don’t think there’s a question that experience going through that a year ago helped this summer and this year thus far, but again it’s our first trip on the road and in that type of environment we’re going to be depending on his leadership.”

Follow reporter Robby Howard on Twitter @robbyhoward1.