sports women's basketball

Hoosiers Seek Best Start in 42 Years

IU Coach Curt Miller called Sunday’s game against IU-Purdue University Indianapolis a potential statement game for his young IU women’s basketball squad.

The Hoosiers (10-0) will travel to Indianapolis for a 2 p.m. matchup against IUPUI (7-3) with the opportunity to win their 11th consecutive game to start the season. Doing so would equal IU’s win total from all of last season.

IUPUI is coming off a 68-64 win against Indiana State. During that win, a late defensive stop with fewer than 30 seconds remaining sealed the victory.

Defense has been a calling card for IUPUI all season. The Jaguars are limiting opponents to 63.3 points per game. Not once have they allowed an opponent to score more than 80 points, a feat IU has accomplished seven times this season.

“They’re one of the quality teams on our non-conference schedule,” Miller said. “Not only could it be a statement game, it could be a verification that we are playing well, that we are maybe playing ahead of schedule this season.”

The defense is anchored by junior guard Dee-Dee Bellamy, the reigning Summit League Defensive Player of the Year, who has 23 steals this season.

“This will be without question — in our 10 games — the best defensive team we have played all year,” Miller said.

On the defensive end for IU, the Hoosiers will look to contain an IUPUI offense that has remained balanced throughout the season.

Seven IUPUI players are averaging more than six points per game, four are averaging more than eight points per game.

“They make you pick your poison,” Miller said. “They have great one-on-one players that can hurt you on dribble penetration, but they always have enough three-point shooters out there to keep you honest.”

IUPUI’s offense is led by a First-Team Preseason All-Summit team member, senior guard DeAirra Goss.

She is averaging 11.2 points per game while also logging the most minutes per game on the team (26.7).

Miller recalled game planning for Goss and the Western Michigan Broncos when he was the head coach at Bowling Green.

“DeAirra’s a tough matchup for us,” Miller said. “She’s really tough to contain off the dribble. You guard her with small guards, she can overpower you and post you up. You guard her with bigger kids, and she normally can beat all those kids off the dribble.”

To combat Goss’ versatility, Miller said the Hoosiers will give her a variety of different looks defensively.

“One thing you talk about with a player like Goss is that you’ve got to keep her off balance,” he said. “We might switch our matchups, we might give her different types of kids and guard her with size sometimes and guard her with speed sometimes.”

Two wins in the next three games would make this year’s non-conference record the best in IU history.

Miller said earning that recognition would point the program in the right direction.
“We certainly know we’re in a building stage,” Miller said. “They’re steps, but we’re certainly making the right steps.”

Follow reporter Sam Beishuizen on Twitter @Sam_Beishuizen.