sports women's basketball

Freshmen Agler and Brooks lead Hoosiers in victory

spIUWBB

At first, Larryn Brooks and Taylor Agler alternated between having the best performance for the IU women’s basketball team’s backcourt. Both were equally impressive after the Hoosiers’ victory against USC Upstate.

“It used to be one was hot and one was not when we talked about it,” Brooks said. “Now it’s like both of us are hot, so we’re just looking for each other all the time.

“Right now we’re on, and it’s been great.”

Agler averages more minutes per game at 32 while Brooks averages more points per game at 18.

It was Agler, however, who was on the court longer and scoring more points. Agler finished with 16 points on 5-5 shooting, including 2-2 from 3-point range.

“We shot really well, and this gives us confidence going into our next game,” she said. “Especially Virginia Tech, we know what’s working and we also found out what we need to work on as well.”

Agler said there are areas the team can improve in defensively.

“Guarding dribble penetration, we still have to keep working on that,” she said.

Agler admitted the team let up in the second half.

“We did let up,” she said. “We have to learn to come out in the second half and not let up no matter what the score is.”

The freshman guard scored 13 of her 16 points in the first half.

The Hoosiers opened the game with a 21-0 run; 10 of those points were scored by Agler.

“Taylor Agler was more aggressive offensively tonight, which we really need her to be,” IU Coach Curt Miller said. “She had a great first half.”

Agler also contributed five rebounds and two assists.

“She’s such an unselfish kid and she continues to get people involved,” Miller said.

He also had more praise for Agler’s performance.

“If we can get point production out of her with how hard she plays, it’s just a really big bonus for us,” he said.

Brooks finished with 14 points on 55 percent (5-9) shooting from the field, 67 percent (4-6) from 3-point range as well as three steals and four assists.

All of her points were scored in the first half.

“How good was Larryn Brooks in that first half?” Miller said. “She was just outstanding, I can’t say enough about her.”

Miller has been pleased with how Brooks and Agler have begun their IU career.

“It’s a dynamic young backcourt, and certainly we have some big time players that they’re gonna play against throughout the year, but gotta be pleased the start of their career,” Miller said. “Really happy with what they’re doing.”

Follow women's basketball reporter Stuart Jackson on Twitter @Stuart_Jackson1.