sports women's soccer

2 women's soccer players earn honors

CAROUSELspNouanesengsy

For the third time in IU history, two women’s soccer players were named to the NSCAA/Continental Tire All-Great Lakes Region team Wednesday.

The National Soccer Coaches Association of America announced that senior midfielder Lisa Nouanesengsy was named to the first team, and senior forward Rebecca Candler was named to the third team.

Nouanesengsy became the fourth player in program history to be named to the first team, and she is the first to earn the honor since Kelly Lawrence in 2007.

Nouanesengsy led the Hoosiers with 11 goals this season, tying for the third most in a single season in school history.

She also tallied 25 points on the year, giving her the ninth most in the Big Ten.

Nouanesengsy extended her school record in hat tricks this season when she scored three goals in a 5-0 win over Eastern Kentucky on Sept. 8.

She finished as the only Hoosier to record multiple hat tricks in a career.

Joining Nouanesengsy with honors was Candler, who was named to the third team after leading IU in assists for a second consecutive season.

Candler finished the year with nine assists, which was good enough for fifth most in the Big Ten.

Her nine assists this season gave her 20 assists on her career, ranking her second all time in school history.

Nouanesengsy and Candler combined to help lead the Hoosier offense to a record-breaking year in total goals scored (43) and assists recorded (46) in a single season.

They combined to help the Hoosiers finish with a new program record for wins in a season at 15-7-1.

— Sam Beishuizen