State allocates childcare funds

This state fiscal year, more low-income Hoosiers have access to quality childcare.

Indiana has already started enrolling more children in childcare programs due to the additional $23 million available to cover childcare expenses for low-income Hoosiers, said Melanie Brizzi, child care director for Bureau of Childcare.

Federal law gives each state the opportunity to transfer up to 30 percent of its funds from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program to supplement the Child Care Development Fund to help families afford child care.

Indiana’s Family and Social Services Administration decided to make the maximum percent transfer for the 2014 fiscal year, Brizzi said.

“It’s about utilizing the resources in the most affective way possible,” Brizzi said. “TANF had the ability to transfer money to CCDF to serve more low-income children.”

In fiscal year 2013, Family and Social Services Administration transferred $39,158,599 from TANF to CCDF, and in fiscal year 2014, FSSA will transfer $62,039,733 from TANF to CCDF.

This increase in transferred funds will help serve an additional 4,500 children on average per month, according to the FSSA press release.

“It’s not a one and done thing. We will continue to serve more children throughout the fiscal year,” Brizzi said.

To receive vouchers, a family must meet income guidelines and must be working or going to school, Brizzi said.

In Indiana, Brizzi said there is always a waitlist for voucher services. If a family qualifies, once they are off the waitlist, they will receive subsidies to help support the cost of childcare while they are working or in school.

Waiting lists are a part of getting the childcare program vouchers and getting children into the day cares.

Tim Dunnuck, director of early childhood education services at IU, said theoretically they may see more low-paid IU employees or low-income student families enrolling children into the program. However, the biggest problem on campus is getting the children into the program and off the waiting list.

Dunnuck said he would love to serve more low-income families in the program, but it all comes down to the waiting list.

Marianna Edmonds-Hogue, owner of Cookie Club Day Care in Bloomington, said she personally has not gained more children due to the change because most of her families are people who have been with her for a long time.

“I hope they keep funding for early childhood because these years are really important for them,” Edmonds-Hogue said.  

Follow reporter Mary Hauber on Twitter @mary_hauber.