Provost and guests discuss role of liberal arts in society

CAROUSELcaRountable

IU Provost Lauren Robel and several guest speakers discussed the role of a liberal arts education in civic life at a round table discussion Monday at the Indiana Memorial Union.

Professor Sara Guyer of the University of Wisconsin and Associate Professor Jason Kelly of IUPUI joined Robel.

Robel opened the discussion by reviewing a recent report on the current standing of the arts and humanities delivered to Congress by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, as well as an evaluation conducted by Harvard College.

Robel said both of these reports positioned the arts and humanities as being at risk of losing students and in need of greater funding.

“Both of these reports have prompted tonight’s discussion,” Robel said.

Robel said the study of arts and humanities provides a framework for students to think critically, an essential attribute for global competitiveness.

“The danger of a liberal education is the possibility of creating powerful and independent thinkers,” Robel said.

Guyer stressed the value of humanities studies to universities at large.

She said rather than thinking of the humanities as the exception to the university, people need to know that the humanities are the university.

“The humanities aren’t the underdog of the university, but rather a synecdoche,” Guyer said. “They’re the part that represents the whole university.”

She said that a common question asked by professionals when discussing the future of arts and humanities studies was the overall usefulness of a liberal arts education in regards to career preparation.

“If universities gave only career preparation, there’s no reason for students to go to college,” Guyer said.

Guyer said the main issue with discussing the humanities in terms of their vocational worth is that it is impossible to predict which jobs will be relevant in the future.

She said humanities studies are training for life itself.

Kelly rounded off the discussion. He first talked about the history of the role of the arts and humanities and spoke briefly on distrust of scientism in the 1960s.

He quoted the National Foundation on the Arts and Humanities Act of 1965, which promoted the progress of the arts and humanities.

“An advanced civilization must not limit its efforts to science and technology alone,” Kelly said.

He said the defense of the humanities is usually framed in ethics and people have recently tried to quantify humanities studies in terms of how they benefit the overall community.

“These defenses have narrowed the discussion of the arts and humanities,” Kelly said.

The floor was opened to audience members when the three speakers were done.

One audience member described the impact theater outings had on the high school students he taught and said some saw their first stage play in that class.

Kelly said becoming involved with the community in events like the audience member had mentioned was important for students receiving a liberal arts education.

“Working with community organizations transforms our students,” Kelly said. “It puts our students out into the workforce and lets them bring what they learn back into the classroom.”