sports men's soccer

Men's soccer takes on Michigan in first round of Big Ten Tournament

For the IU men’s soccer team, this week’s Big Ten Tournament will provide a final chance for success in the 2013 season.

Starting with Wednesday’s matchup against Michigan, the Hoosiers (6-11-1, 2-4) will attempt to put behind them a regular season that saw a program-high 11 losses and the first losing record in the program’s 40 years.

IU Coach Todd Yeagley said the start of the postseason will allow his team a clean slate after a disappointing regular season that saw the Hoosiers tumble out of the rankings from the preseason No. 1 spot.

“Right now, everybody’s 0-0, and that’s a fact,” Yeagley said. “It certainly helps with some of the disappointing results we’ve had, but even if we were 18-0, it’s the same scenario. What you did in the regular season doesn’t matter.”

The Hoosiers’ experienced lineup will be bolstered by the potential return of two key contributors in freshman forward Tommy Thompson and sophomore goalkeeper Michael Soderlund.

Thompson, who is tied for the team lead with five goals scored, underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee Oct. 15. Soderlund has struggled with a hip flexor injury throughout the season and was supplanted in goal by freshman Colin Webb for the Hoosiers’ final regular-season game.

“Tommy looks good, and we’re definitely going to use him.” Yeagley said. “Michael is available. We’ll make the goalkeeping decision based on form and how we’re
doing.”

IU will meet Michigan (8-6-3, 3-3) in the first round of the tournament, the two sides’ second meeting in three weeks. In their first matchup, the Wolverines took a 2-1 victory courtesy of a goal in the game’s final three minutes.

In that game, the Hoosiers were not at their best but can learn from the experience, Yeagley said.

“It was one of our poorest performances,” Yeagley said. “I like the fact that our guys were not happy with how they played. We were not happy. I think that in it’s own way will allow us to be very physically ready for this game.”

In addition to the pressure of attempting to win a Big Ten championship, IU will be straddled with the task of ensuring an NCAA Tournament berth, a task that will necessitate a conference crown.

The current NCAA Tournament format allows bids for 48 teams, some of which are automatically given to conference champions. Currently, the Hoosiers sit outside of that 48-team bubble, unranked in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) poll and at No. 62 in the RPI.

Yeagley said the experience of his senior-laden squad will allow them to deflect the added pressure of fighting for a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

“This team has been through the tournament. They’ve been through win and advance, so it’s not like it’s our first scenario,” Yeagley said. “A lot of teams make the Big Ten, so everybody gets to compete, but this is everything for us. We’re going to rely on that experience.

“They’re lively, and they’re ready to go. I think this group’s ready to get after it.”

Follow reporter Alden Woods on Twitter @acw9293.