sports men's soccer

IU defeats Michigan, advances

Late in Wednesday’s first-round Big Ten Tournament game against Michigan, the IU men’s soccer team stared into the face of a situation that had burned them repeatedly in the 2013 season: overtime.

The Hoosiers fell behind early in the game but equalized in the second half, sending the game into sudden-death overtime.

Next goal wins.

IU had faced the same situation six times in the regular season, with only a meek 1-1 draw with UC Irvine and five heartbreaking losses to show for their efforts.

Junior midfielder Dylan Mares said the Hoosiers were collected and ready for the challenge of another overtime period.

“We just put what’s happened in the past and concentrated on the present,” Mares said. “I think our team was very motivated. We knew our team had been doing well.”

A once-promising season hung in the balance, with both teams searching for the game-winning goal while remaining cautious of making a mistake that could end their tournament. The Hoosiers, determined to make a postseason run in spite of the program’s first-ever losing season, pressed forward.

Six minutes into overtime, pandemonium struck the Hoosier bench.

Freshman forward Tommy Thompson weaved through the defense and laid the ball off for Mares in front of an open net.

Playing in his first Big Ten Tournament since transferring from Louisville in the spring, Mares carried the hopes of a season on his foot. He flicked Thompson’s pass on goal, wheeling to celebrate before the ball came to rest in the back of the net.

Mares’ goal gave IU a 2-1 victory against the Wolverines and kept the Hoosiers’ postseason dreams alive.

“The ball got flicked on, and Tommy was able to start running at the guy, and he got one-on-one,” Mares said. “He did everything to get me the ball.”

He paused, reflecting on his most important goal in a Hoosier uniform.
“It’s a good feeling knowing you helped the team out.”

IU played the majority of the first half from a deficit, as Michigan struck early. The Wolverines jumped out to a 1-0 lead by way of senior defender Ezekiel Harris’ 11th-minute goal.

As Michigan sophomore forward James Murphy made his way down the left sideline, Harris created space for himself in front of the IU goal. A scramble ensued, but Harris came away with the ball, and a simple finish past IU freshman goalkeeper Colin Webb and into the right corner of the net put the Wolverines on top.

IU senior midfielder A.J. Corrado leveled the score in the 63rd minute, creating a chance by himself after collecting an errant cross that deflected off Thompson’s face.

From just inside the penalty area, Corrado took a touch with his right foot and fired a shot across the face of the Wolverine net. The ball slipped under the grasp of diving junior goalkeeper Adam Grinwis before finding the back of the net and breathing new life into the Hoosiers’ season.

After Corrado’s goal, the game tightened up. Ball possession and steadiness replaced chance creation — neither side was willing to make a season-ending mistake — and the final 28 minutes of the second half featured only four shots on goal.

The game continued into overtime, only to be halted just six minutes in by Mares’ third goal in an IU uniform.  

Mares said getting a postseason victory lifted some pressure from the Hoosiers, but he knows their work is not done.

“It’s always a relief winning a game in overtime, especially when we haven’t won them in the regular season yet,” Mares said. “Definitely because it’s the postseason, we’re all motivated to keep pushing.

“We have nothing to lose in each game. It’s just thrilling to get a win, and we’re definitely going to keep going.”