sports field hockey

Field hockey loses regular season finale

After winning a set of matches last weekend, the IU field hockey team traveled to Michigan for its final regular season game.

The Hoosiers didn’t get the result they were looking for, falling to the Wolverines 4-3.
Despite the result, IU Coach Amy Robertson said it was a one of the team’s best performances.

“The heart that this team played with today was phenomenal,” Robertson said.

Both teams were unable to register a goal in the first half.

The Hoosiers were unable to register a shot attempt in the first half, while Michigan attempted four.

IU came out firing in the second half.

Junior forward Audra Heilman scored in the 36th minute off a pass from junior midfielder Corrine Karch.

Heilman’s goal was the 19th of her career, which moves her into seventh on IU’s all-time list.

In the 45th minute, Michigan senior forward Rachael Mack tied the match.

Junior midfielder Ainsley McCallister was credited with the assist.

Four minutes later, IU sophomore midfielder Sydney Supica scored on a direct shot.
Senior forward Emily Bowker and freshman forward Hannah McDermott were both credited with an assist on the goal.

Just more than two minutes following Supica’s goal, McDermott scored her first goal of the season on an unassisted shot to the left corner of the cage.

In the 57th minute, IU senior defender Hannah Boyer was issued a yellow card.
Trailing 3-1 in the 58th minute, the Wolverines started their comeback attempt.

Michigan junior back Leslie Smith scored her first goal of the match unassisted off a blocked penalty corner shot.

Three minutes later, Michigan senior back Alice Brown scored unassisted from a scrum in front of the goal.

With a minute and a half remaining in the match, Mack scored her second goal of the game to secure the Wolverines victory.

Mack’s goal was a corner shot to the opposite corner of the cage.

Sophomore back Lauren Thomas had the assist on the play.

“Michigan is a tough team,” Robertson said. “Some calls didn’t go our way. In the end, Michigan made sure that they made good on their opportunities.”

Sunday’s loss gives the Hoosiers a 9-9 record, including a 1-5 record in Big Ten matches.

Also on Sunday, the Big Ten announced the matchups for the first round of the conference tournament.

IU earned the sixth seed and will face Michigan State at 2:30 p.m. Thursday.
The match will stream live on the Big Ten Digital Network.

The last time the two teams met, Michigan State won the match 4-3 despite IU’s late comeback attempt.

Follow reporter Dan Matney on Twitter @Dan_Matney.