Coleman named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week

After running for a career high 215 yards on 15 carries and tallying two touchdowns Saturday against Illinois, sophomore running back Tevin Coleman was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week.

This is the first time Coleman has received the honor.

It marks the first time a Hoosier running back has been awarded the honor in 12 years exactly, when Levron Williams took the honor on Nov. 12, 2001.

Coleman is third in the Big Ten, averaging 106 rushing yards per game. He also leads the conference with 12 rushing touchdowns and is seventh nationally in the figure.

He also ran for 108 yards against Minnesota, making it the first time a Hoosier tailback ran for more than 100 yards in consecutive games since BenJarvus Green-Ellis in 2003.

Through nine games, Coleman has the most rushing yards of any IU running back since 2001.

Coleman is averaging 7.3 yards per rush on the season and is on pace for 1,276 yards, which would give him the sixth most season rushing yards in IU history.

His backup, senior Stephen Houston, has also rushed 100 yards in each of the past two games. He will be IU’s primary back against Wisconsin.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson said Coleman is “probably out” this week after sustaining an ankle injury late against Illinois.

If Coleman does not play, it will be the first time all season he has not recorded a touchdown in a game.

— Evan Hoopfer