Breaking the glass movie theater ceiling

ABBA isn’t the only reason we love Sweden.

Four movie cinemas in Sweden are implementing a feminist movie-rating system. The rating system works on a grade scale, with an A awarded to films considered the most feminist.

These feminist ratings are based on the Bechdel test, which requires two named female characters to talk to each other about something other than a man.

Any film where two named female characters don’t speak to each other or only speak to each other about a man would fail the Bechdel test, and therefore would receive a poor rating.

Though the test isn’t flawless, it is a great way to fight gender inequality in the media and get the word out about strong female characters in film.

It’s easy for many of us to assume we’re perpetuating media that represents the sexes well.

We’ve got so many female stars — so many spunky young actresses that our children can look up to.

But the Bechdel test puts everything into perspective.

Both “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” fail the test. Other films in the series squeak by.

One of the most influential film series of our generation severely lacks strong female interactions.

And this should be publicized, just as Sweden is doing.

The system is catching on. The state-funded Swedish Film Institute supports the initiative, and Scandinavian cable television channel Viasat Film is planning a day where the network will only show A-rated films.

The Editorial Board’s only concern with the system — why do the ladies get all the support?

In a sense, the rating system opens a can of worms. Why don’t we have a test for black characters? Queer characters? Or more accurately represented Asian
characters?

The Bechdel test leaves us wanting more exposure to media that has always fallen through the cracks. It’s not like the female voice is the only underrepresented one out there.

We may think we’re progressive when it comes to film — sure, we’ve got “A Single Man” and “The Kids Are All Right” — but that doesn’t mean we’re truly serving queer media.

The same thing could be said with black, Latino and basically any other minority-based film.

It’s easy to be blinded by the big screen. Natalie Portman looks great in “Thor: The Dark World,” and a bunch of people are watching her kick ass — totally a feminist film, right?

Thankfully, Sweden is helping us see the light.

Here’s hoping their idea spreads to the States.

­— opinion@idsnews.com
Follow the Opinion Desk on Twitter @ids_opinion.