Best of Bloomington

Best of Bloomington 2013

You voted, we counted. Here’s the results of Weekend’s annual Best of Bloomington poll.

Best Student Athlete — Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell

After the departure of Cody Zeller, Christian Watford, Jordan Hulls and Victor Oladipo from last year’s starting men’s basketball squad, many have declared this season a rebuilding year. Yogi Ferrell didn’t get that memo.  He’s only averaging about a minute more than he was last year, but he’s more than doubled his scoring average from 7.6 points per game last year to 19.5 this year. What’s most different about Yogi’s game this year is his ability to shoot from outside the arc. He isn’t afraid to attempt the three-point jumper from the top of the key, and it’s making him a nightmare for defenses. IU basketball is a religion, and Yogi is our new preacher. He’s fully embraced his new role as team leader, and we couldn’t be happier.

Best Pizza — Mother Bear’s Pizza

It’s no secret that Mother Bear’s Pizza offers the best pizza in Bloomington. Mother Bear’s succeeds because it has taken something that everyone loves and perfected it. They’ve been winning the Best Pizza crown for Best of Bloomington for a while now, but they’ve also been recognized nationally for their prestigious pies. If you’re a carnivore, you’ll love their Divine Swine, which features nothing but meat from a pig. If you’re more of a veggie fan, try the Paulie Pine Nuts Pesto Pie, which features homemade pesto. On Parents Weekend, you’ll be sure to find a line out the door going down Third Street. Everyone loves the place. If you go four years in Bloomington without visiting Mother Bear’s to get a slice, you’ve made a terrible mistake.

Best Breakfast — The Village Deli

Who hasn’t woken up on a dazed Saturday or Sunday morning and not felt the calling to the Mecca that is the Village Deli? It’s not fine dining and it’s not gourmet, but it never fails to hit the spot. Because, let’s face it, if our parents are in town we’ll make them spring for something fancier. But when last night’s alcohol is threatening to come back up and you can’t find your wallet or phone, Village Deli will always be there with golden home fries and stacks of French toast. 

Best Burger — Bub’s Burgers and Ice Cream

It’s hardly a fair competition, but the “Settle for Less Ugly,” the “Not so Ugly” and the “Big Ugly” are far and away the best burgers in Bloomington. The option to consume a one-pound burger is reason alone to give Bub’s the Best of Bloomington title, but one bite will convince you. Just let yourself go and pay no mind to the juices running down your chin and the ketchup on your fingers. There’s nothing messier than a Bub’s burger, and there’s no burger in the world as good as a Bub’s burger. 

Best Dessert — Baked!

It’s 2 a.m. and you’re only eight pages into a 16-page paper that’s due in a few hours. Do you rally, make another cup of coffee and trudge forward? Hell no, you order six of your favorite cookies from Baked! Because when the going gets tough, we all remember our inner five-year-old and just want some milk and cookies. But now we’re in college, and we can have them delivered. Whether you like mint chips, butterscotch cups, sprinkles, vanilla frosting, oatmeal dough or sugar cookie dough, you can have it sent right to you in the middle of the night. So when you can’t call your mom and your friends are stressed out, too, you know exactly which late-night sweet shop to call. 

Best Place to take a Date — Malibu Grill

We’ve all been stressed out because we don’t know where to take a date, whether you’re meeting up for the first time or you’ve been dating for months. It’s never easy to decide between going over-the-top expensive or underwhelming them at some fast food joint. It’s on the pricey side, but trust us when we say you should spring for Malibu Grill to impress your sweetie. Start off with the incredible Spinach and Artichoke Dip and from there get anything from the Pan-Seared Filet Medallions to the Cajun Salmon. You really can’t go wrong on their menu. Bonus points if you order the best drink on the menu, the Shady Lady. 

Best Food Truck — The Big Cheeze

A grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with homemade macaroni and cheese and cheddar. This is the sole argument needed to crown the Big Cheeze the best food truck in Bloomington, and maybe even in the world. Coming out of KOK or Dunnkirk, seeing the Big Cheeze is like seeing the lights of heaven shining down right on Kirkwood. The staff is always friendly and accommodating to the drunkest of patrons, aiding us when our debit cards won’t swipe or the alcohol makes us forget how to count change. They may have started out at Purdue, but the Big Cheeze is a Bloomington staple if there ever was one.

Best Place for Group Exercise — SRSC

Known as “The Coliseum of Swole,” the SRSC is unquestionably the essential exercise facility of Bloomington. With little competition in town, the SRSC runs away with this title. The facility accommodates all levels of fitness, from the bodybuilder all the way down to the average Joe trying to improve themselves. From group cardio-based classes, to one-on-one training, there is no shortage of help someone can receive to achieve their fitness aspirations. Composed of two weight rooms, basketball courts, a cardio room, racquetball courts and an aquatic center, the SRSC has established itself has the ultimate location for all things working out. Young boys have been said to have entered its confine their freshman year, only to leave it as men their senior year. For fanatics, this three-story shrine to fitness has become their home away from home, away from home.

Best Late Night Munchies — Pizza X

Sometimes when you’re on your way home from a night out, you have to have a slice of pizza. And sometimes a slice isn’t enough. Sometimes you need the whole thing.Pizza X hits that late-night spot with the Big X Bargain. If you’re awake enough to dial 10 digits, or seven if you’re a townie, and stay awake for 30 short minutes or less, you are in for a real treat. And that’s not just the tootsie rolls included with your order. If you can last half an hour, you’ll surely devour the pizza in less time than it took to deliver.Whether you seek a nightcap to a night of too much fun or fuel for a night of too much work, Pizza X is the answer. Few things do the soul better than half a pizza, some deliciously salty breadsticks and your choice of dipping sauce.You can try to forget it, but you won’t.This pizza company keeps you crawling back for more with souvenir cups that will without a doubt inspire another late-night escapade with Pizza X.

Best Music Venue — The Bluebird Nightclub

Forget the fact that their signature drink comes with a crazy straw. The music and environment at the Bluebird are enough to take anyone back to feelings of glee and excitement associated with childhood.Some of the quirkiest music acts take the corner stage, and there is always a crowd to support them. Whether you want to get down to some soul music or let loose to country, a wide variety of bands visit the venue regularly.With three bars, there is plenty of space to chat if you want to take a break from the action of the main floor.Events are generally inexpensive, especially when compared with a traditional concert experience. At the Bluebird you can enjoy that concert energy without being tied to a seat. Mingle with friends or make new ones by bonding over a cover of “Under the Sea” performed by four hunky guys in baseball tees and running shorts, also known as Rod Tuffcurls and the Bench Press.Like the neon crazy straw in your bright blue beverage, the venue is just obscure enough for everyone to love.